Community

Share knowledge. Find answers. Ask questions.

Community blog

Read our latest news and views and get to know us better

Learn more about our lounges at OR Tambo International Airport
Community Manager
‎02-02-2017 05:37 PM
‎02-02-2017 05:37 PM
Read more in

What are the new Standard Bank lounges called and what are the features of each?

• ConnectionHub is open to all domestic travellers moving through departures looking to access Wi-Fi and power points before boarding. Visitors do not need to be Standard Bank customers to access the lounge.
  • CaféBlue is open to Wealth and Investment, Private Banking Signature Banking, Signature Banking, Private Banking and Professional Banking customers. The lounge offers customers the opportunity to sit and enjoy a snack or beverage, including speciality teas brewed by experienced baristas, before their flight.
  • The LibraryLounge is open to Standard Bank Wealth and Investment, Signature Banking and Private Banking clients and their immediate family members, this is the first airport lounge facility of its type in South Africa. The LibraryLounge offers discerning travellers high-quality food and premium beverages in a plush atmosphere where they can relax and enjoy the highest levels of comfort, or read a book or magazine while they wait for their flight.

Who can access each of the lounges and what are the access rules?  

• ConnectionHub is open to all domestic travellers moving through departures, irrespective of bank affiliation or card status.
  • CaféBlue is open to all Wealth and Investment, Signature Banking, Private Banking and Professional Banking customers. All qualifying credit cardholders are allowed to enter at any time before their boarding time. Qualifying cards, number of allowed entries and details of allowed guests below.CafeBlue AccessCafeBlue Access

• The LibraryLounge is open to Standard Bank Wealth and Investment, Signature Banking and Private Banking clients. All qualifying credit cardholders are allowed to enter at any time before their flight. Clients can gain access to the lounge using either their Cheque or Credit card. Qualifying cards, number of allowed entries and details of allowed guests below.

LibraryLounge AccessLibraryLounge Access

How is entry managed?

Access to the LibraryLounge and CaféBlue is controlled through concierge staff and card readers located at the front desks, while ConnectionHub is unattended and open to all domestic travellers. Only one card (Platinum, Platinum Visa, MasterCard, World Citizen, Cheque or Credit Card or World Elite Metal Card) will be permitted per cardholder.

Do I need to make a reservation for lounge access?

No reservation is required, but clients will be accommodated based on the maximum capacity of each lounge.

Is there a restriction on the number of visits that I can make?

Yes, the number of entries allowable per month is linked to your card type. Please see rules in the tables above.

Can my lounge membership access be used by someone else, i.e. is access transferrable?

Access into the Standard Bank lounges is not transferrable, however all Wealth and Investment clients have the benefit of accessing CaféBlue and the LibraryLounge with one guest and all children (under the age of 18 years), regardless of their personal card type, while Signature Banking clients have the benefit of accessing the lounges with one guest, plus all family members elected by the main account holder part of Signature Family. Signature Family Members must be accompanied by the main account holder who must be in possession of a valid World Citizen MasterCard.

What happens if I’m denied access?

While the right of admission into CaféBlue and LibraryLounge is reserved, and subject to qualifying criteria, no eligible cardholder (as per the individual lounge rules) will be denied access unless a lounge is at capacity. In this case, the client will be directed to an alternative lounge where space is available. If access concerns do arise, clients are advised to call their Relationship Manager or Private Banker for assistance.

Am I limited on the time I can spend in the Standard Bank lounges?

No, clients are welcome to spend as much time as they wish in the lounges, but should lounge capacity be reached at any given time, only the maximum number of guests will be accommodated.

Are children permitted into CaféBlue and the LibraryLounge?

Children are permitted in the lounges, however, all children younger than 18 years old must be accompanied by the main cardholder who must be in the possession of a valid World Elite, World or Metal MasterCard. Signature Family Members must also be accompanied by the main account holder who must be in possession of a valid World Citizen MasterCard.

Do the Standard Bank lounges offer Forex?

No, unfortunately not.

Are ATM’s available in the Standard Bank lounges?

No, unfortunately not.

As Standard Bank operates across the African continent, will customers holding cards for similar qualifying products be allowed access?

Yes, all qualifying Wealth and Investment World Elite, Mastercard, World Mastercard, World Elite Metal Card from South Africa, Kenya, Nigeria and Ghana will be allowed access. For all qualifying cards and card types, please see tables above.

What are the lounge operating times?

• ConnectionHub operates seven days a week from Monday to Sunday. Operating Hours: Monday to Friday 04:30-21:00, Saturdays 06:00-18:00 and Sundays 06:00-21:00.
  • CaféBlue operates seven days a week from Monday to Sunday. Operating Hours: Monday to Friday 04:30-21:00, Saturdays 06:00-18:00 and Sundays 06:00-21:00.
  • LibraryLounge operates seven days a week from Monday to Sunday. Operating Hours: Monday to Friday 04:30-21:00, Saturdays 06:00-18:00 and Sundays 06:00-21:00.

What if I lose an item or leave it behind?

Lost items are turned over to airport lost and found. If we can identify the owner of the item, we will attempt to contact him or her before delivering the item to airport lost and found.

Why has Standard Bank decided to introduce these new lounges at OR Tambo International Airport domestic departures?

The need for the new airport lounges was identified through extensive research that was undertaken to see if what was on offer met the needs of travellers. We then looked at their views and used the research results to develop lounge concepts that met their requirements for convenience and access to WIFI and power points, as well as premium food and beverages whilst travelling. What drove our research and, in our estimation made the exercise necessary, was the fact that we have about 5 600 Standard Bank customers visiting the airport every month. By meeting their needs, we would be adding value to their banking experience with us, and simultaneously thanking them for their loyalty to the bank.

Where are the lounges located?

You can find the lounges using the map below.

Airport Lounge MapAirport Lounge Map

Read more in
2 Comments
Ilona Schabort

How can I access a lounge with my private banking card at the international airport? Thank you 

Ilona Schabort

moshele wrote:

What are the new Standard Bank lounges called and what are the features of each?

• ConnectionHub is open to all domestic travellers moving through departures looking to access Wi-Fi and power points before boarding. Visitors do not need to be Standard Bank customers to access the lounge.
  • CaféBlue is open to Wealth and Investment, Private Banking Signature Banking, Signature Banking, Private Banking and Professional Banking customers. The lounge offers customers the opportunity to sit and enjoy a snack or beverage, including speciality teas brewed by experienced baristas, before their flight.
  • The LibraryLounge is open to Standard Bank Wealth and Investment, Signature Banking and Private Banking clients and their immediate family members, this is the first airport lounge facility of its type in South Africa. The LibraryLounge offers discerning travellers high-quality food and premium beverages in a plush atmosphere where they can relax and enjoy the highest levels of comfort, or read a book or magazine while they wait for their flight.

Who can access each of the lounges and what are the access rules?  

• ConnectionHub is open to all domestic travellers moving through departures, irrespective of bank affiliation or card status.
  • CaféBlue is open to all Wealth and Investment, Signature Banking, Private Banking and Professional Banking customers. All qualifying credit cardholders are allowed to enter at any time before their boarding time. Qualifying cards, number of allowed entries and details of allowed guests below.CafeBlue AccessCafeBlue Access

• The LibraryLounge is open to Standard Bank Wealth and Investment, Signature Banking and Private Banking clients. All qualifying credit cardholders are allowed to enter at any time before their flight. Clients can gain access to the lounge using either their Cheque or Credit card. Qualifying cards, number of allowed entries and details of allowed guests below.

How is entry managed?

Access to the LibraryLounge and CaféBlue is controlled through concierge staff and card readers located at the front desks, while ConnectionHub is unattended and open to all domestic travellers. Only one card (Platinum, Platinum Visa, MasterCard, World Citizen, Cheque or Credit Card or World Elite Metal Card) will be permitted per cardholder.

Do I need to make a reservation for lounge access?

No reservation is required, but clients will be accommodated based on the maximum capacity of each lounge.

Is there a restriction on the number of visits that I can make?

Yes, the number of entries allowable per month is linked to your card type. Please see rules in the tables above.

Can my lounge membership access be used by someone else, i.e. is access transferrable?

Access into the Standard Bank lounges is not transferrable, however all Wealth and Investment clients have the benefit of accessing CaféBlue and the LibraryLounge with one guest and all children (under the age of 18 years), regardless of their personal card type, while Signature Banking clients have the benefit of accessing the lounges with one guest, plus all family members elected by the main account holder part of Signature Family. Signature Family Members must be accompanied by the main account holder who must be in possession of a valid World Citizen MasterCard.

What happens if I’m denied access?

While the right of admission into CaféBlue and LibraryLounge is reserved, and subject to qualifying criteria, no eligible cardholder (as per the individual lounge rules) will be denied access unless a lounge is at capacity. In this case, the client will be directed to an alternative lounge where space is available. If access concerns do arise, clients are advised to call their Relationship Manager or Private Banker for assistance.

Am I limited on the time I can spend in the Standard Bank lounges?

No, clients are welcome to spend as much time as they wish in the lounges, but should lounge capacity be reached at any given time, only the maximum number of guests will be accommodated.

Are children permitted into CaféBlue and the LibraryLounge?

Children are permitted in the lounges, however, all children younger than 18 years old must be accompanied by the main cardholder who must be in the possession of a valid World Elite, World or Metal MasterCard. Signature Family Members must also be accompanied by the main account holder who must be in possession of a valid World Citizen MasterCard.

Do the Standard Bank lounges offer Forex?

No, unfortunately not.

Are ATM’s available in the Standard Bank lounges?

No, unfortunately not.

As Standard Bank operates across the African continent, will customers holding cards for similar qualifying products be allowed access?

Yes, all qualifying Wealth and Investment World Elite, Mastercard, World Mastercard, World Elite Metal Card from South Africa, Kenya, Nigeria and Ghana will be allowed access. For all qualifying cards and card types, please see tables above.

What are the lounge operating times?

• ConnectionHub operates seven days a week from Monday to Sunday. Operating Hours: Monday to Friday 04:30-21:00, Saturdays 06:00-18:00 and Sundays 06:00-21:00.
  • CaféBlue operates seven days a week from Monday to Sunday. Operating Hours: Monday to Friday 04:30-21:00, Saturdays 06:00-18:00 and Sundays 06:00-21:00.
  • LibraryLounge operates seven days a week from Monday to Sunday. Operating Hours: Monday to Friday 04:30-21:00, Saturdays 06:00-18:00 and Sundays 06:00-21:00.

What if I lose an item or leave it behind?

Lost items are turned over to airport lost and found. If we can identify the owner of the item, we will attempt to contact him or her before delivering the item to airport lost and found.

How do I access a lounge a the internatinal airport  with my private banking card  from Standard Bank?
Iloan Schabort

Why has Standard Bank decided to introduce these new lounges at OR Tambo International Airport domestic departures?

The need for the new airport lounges was identified through extensive research that was undertaken to see if what was on offer met the needs of travellers. We then looked at their views and used the research results to develop lounge concepts that met their requirements for convenience and access to WIFI and power points, as well as premium food and beverages whilst travelling. What drove our research and, in our estimation made the exercise necessary, was the fact that we have about 5 600 Standard Bank customers visit

Airport Lounge MapAirport Lounge Map

Community Manager

Hi Ilona Schabort

Private Banking clients can access all three lounges once they have checked in. To locate the lounges, use the map attached to this article and present your card on entry.