Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Allow debit card to be used for online shopping

5 REPLIES 5
MandyP
Community Coordinator

Hello @Mpho1991,

I can understand your frustration on this. Kindly note that online shopping at any point will require you to capture your card details by using your card details including the CVV number which is a secure three digit pin at the back of your cheque or credit card. To resolve this, you will need to upgrade your account to a cheque account in order to be able to shop online.

Regards,

Mandy

Mpho1991
Occasional Visitor
Still happening to date.can't do online purchases with my debit card
antonzwiegelaar
New Contributor

Same problem here. Used to use my debit card (Mastercard) to buy online at Takealot and other sites. Now suddenly  (last 2 months) my transaction is being declined and I am told to contact the bank. 

After contacting them I was told the same about not being able to use a debit card for online shopping. Why now suddenly?

dillhirst1107
Occasional Visitor
I. Have a CVV number on mine and I made purchases before why can't I purchase anymore?
StandardBank
Community Coordinator

Hi Martinyoung2907,

That is correct. You need to have a cheque or credit account to be able to make online purchases as those cards have a CVV number which you need.

Regards,

Standard Bank Team

martinyoung2907
Regular Visitor
Please explain why my Access Account, opened with Debit Card cannot be used for online shopping. I called in to have this feature activated but was told this cannot be done with this type of account. Is this correct?