Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Using Debit card for online shopping

Solved
50 REPLIES 50
Occasional Contributor
If I was to make a post about my cards
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor
M0eJ0e
New Contributor

You could also try creating a virtual credit card on the Banking App, fund it and use that to make online payments instead.

Chelena
New Contributor

There is no way to get proof of payment when you use your virtual card for online shopping. Please advise.

Titus2
New Contributor
This is no **bleep**en help I need the zip code 😠😠😠😠
Titus2
New Contributor
Is there a way to get my zip code without going to the bank
Marwick
Occasional Visitor
You have been a great help really appreciate it,I was going in cycles.
MOD
New Contributor

No, I'm sorry, but that is nonsense.

I, and I am sure everyone else with this account, was made to believe it is possible to shop online using this card.

Now you want us to upgrade, which will probably cost us all money.

Besides all of that you are not actually giving us answers. Instead, all you are doing is telling us to upgrade without acknowledging the fact that we were all mislead.

I want a free upgrade with no extra monthly fees and I can't go into a bank seeing as I live abroad! So make a plan, please!!

Jamunaji
New Contributor
No I have a debit MasterCard.
mchand
Occasional Contributor

Additionally, student Acehiver IS a cheque account, so you're not upgrading just getting the card that you should have been geiven in the first place

mchand
Occasional Contributor
If you have a Student Achievers account, simply go into the bank and ask them for it. It will take 7 working days but then you can collect it.
Jamunaji
New Contributor
How does one upgrade to Cheque account? What is the criteria? I currently possess a debit card and in dire need to be able to make online purchases.
awvr

I have a student achiever account, and as far as I know online purchases are enabled BUT your online purchase limit is set to R0. And you have to go into the bank to change it which you can'tI went in and a consultant straight out told me it can't be changed which is dumb. As a student I have to buy textbooks which are 9/10 times cheaper online than in stores. 

Can I really just go get a cheque card to solve this?

Yahaya
kobzarejy
New Contributor

True they are liar and want us to upgrade to Cheque singafuni haaai man it's annoying 

kobzarejy
New Contributor
yes it does but doesn't allow you to purchase online why is that?
kobzarejy
New Contributor

I agree they are misleading us as customers and it isn't nice

kobzarejy
New Contributor

I agree with you Boitumelo Standard Bank's service is rotten i didn't know until now because am trying to purchase an online course and am declined. Other banks allow debit cards for online purchases and why not Standard Bank ?Am so pissed am going back to my old bank where u don't have to go into the branch to change things o the system and where u can use a debit card to shop without a hassle...Their service isn't ayoba

Lionsheart85
The other alternative is to get a Capitec account and tell them to activate everything. Works with international purchases as well. When I was young then this was what I did then to deal with standard bank and their dumb cards at the time.

Also having two accounts was a blessing as at the time they were always offline.