Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Using Debit card for online shopping

Solved
heinza7778
New Contributor

Hi @Boitumelo

I beg to differ with your reply.

I use to be able to use my card for online purchases but the suddenly it was stopped.

My new mastercard debit card does have a CCV at the back and I still can't use for online purchases.

I have a access acount so it is not a savings account.  I have a savings account at another bank and I can use their card for online purchases.  My friend has a savings account from another bank and she too can use hers for online purchases.

So is Standard bank trying to lose loyel clients and lying?  Do we need to take our banking elsewhere, where they dont lie and make you pay ekstra for services you already pay for?

tinopazz1988
New Contributor

does this mean that my access account will work with online shopping since it is a current account or is it the same as the student chiever account?

@Boitumelo wrote:

Hello @JoshuaS

The debit card won't allow you to make on-line purchases as it will need you to verify your CCV number. Note you will have to upgrade to check in order for you to be able to make on-line purchases.

The student achiever account doesn't allow you to make on-line purchases. You will have to upgrade to a normal servings or current account to be able to make on-line purchases. You can follow the link for more information on your student achiever account: http://www.standardbank.co.za/standardbank/Personal/Banking/Current-accounts/Student-Achiever?intcmp...

I trust this will be helpful.

Regards,

Boitumelo

Boitumelo
Community Coordinator

Hello @JoshuaS

The debit card won't allow you to make on-line purchases as it will need you to verify your CCV number. Note you will have to upgrade to check in order for you to be able to make on-line purchases.

The student achiever account doesn't allow you to make on-line purchases. You will have to upgrade to a normal servings or current account to be able to make on-line purchases. You can follow the link for more information on your student achiever account: http://www.standardbank.co.za/standardbank/Personal/Banking/Current-accounts/Student-Achiever?intcmp...

I trust this will be helpful.

Regards,

Boitumelo

JoshuaS
Is there a way to do this transfer without having to enter the bank?
Boitumelo
Community Coordinator

Hello @Siwe,

Kindly note that on-line shopping at any point will require you to capture your card details by using your card details including the CVV number which is a secure three digit pin at the back of your cheque or credit card. To resolve this you will have to upgrade your account to cheque account to enjoy on-line shopping.

Regards,

Boitumelo

Siwe

hi  

to be able to do online shopping must i then get a different card since my debit card is not working?

Boitumelo
Community Coordinator

Hi there, 

We do apologise for your experience. Please advise if you still experiencing the same issues with your card? You can email us your account details including contact and ID number for further assistance on: [email protected] using the subjectline "Debit Card online shopping issues Community query" Thanks.

Regards,

Boitumelo

pmusvaire
Frequent Visitor

Your service is pathetic, when you give us these debit cards you say it works online, and the package says so.

Who doesnt buy stuff online these days, I need to have a card that works online to get an uber, thats being foolish.

Sasuke
Occasional Visitor

Thats BS. Any card that says MasterCard or VISA can be used for online purchases. If it says Maestro or Visa electron it cannot. a student achiever account is a master card and should be able to be used for online purchases.

SnapScan counts as online purchase, it is advertised that student achiver and even access account are able to use it but when you try it says card declined by bank, which is usually the case wuth standard bank debit cards.

The online purchase problem has came up last year and is definatly a problem the bank needs to look into as most debit card holder were able to make online purchases last year and it stopped working all of a sudden.

Many online merchants also require MasterSecure and Visa verify in order for you to make purchases and standard banks enrollment page for that does not seem to be working.

ilanampiti
Community Coordinator

Hi,

Unfortunately, you cannot make payments online using your Student Achiever Debit card. 

mchand
Occasional Contributor

Hi 

I have a student achiever acount and would like to know if it's possible to pay online and how? Accoring to this page  I can use masterpass by downloaing the app. The Masterpass app by mastercard isn't available in South Africa and Standard Bank doesn't seem to offer a masterpass app. There is an app by Otilo but I don't see why I should trust that app? Please update your website to clarify which merchants are participating as that would be invaluable information for any customer. Additionally the hyperlinks used for legacy and computicket have been mixed up(minor annoyance but it makes me question the quality of your web devs and explains why the site is so unintuitive) 

Go to the solution >