Community

Share knowledge. Find answers. Ask questions.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Why can't I make online purchases with my Debit MasterCard?

Saruman305
New Contributor

Why can't I make online purchases with my Debit Ma...

I've been trying to use my card to make online purchases on Amazon and other such websites, but my card somehow doesn't work for these things. I can't even link it to Google Play, Über or PayPal. Do I have to get a special card for these things? Because my understanding is that you should be able to use MasterCard everywhere.
11 REPLIES
gageridley
Occasional Visitor

Re: Why can't I make online purchases with my Debi...

I'm having the same problem. Decided to look on the forums for help too.
0 Kudos
Community Coordinator

Hi, you need to have a credit card or a cheque card for online purchases. 

0 Kudos
Saruman305
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I just think if that's the case, there really shouldn't be a MasterCard symbol on our debit cards. It's very misleading. Guess I'm going to have to change banks then. Those cards are too expensive at Standard Bank.
0 Kudos
Community Coordinator

Hi Saruman305,

Thanks for the feedback. I have escalated it to the relevant department.

Regards,

Standard Bank Team

0 Kudos
antonzwiegelaar
New Contributor

I have used my Debit Mastercard regularly to do online shopping. Since July 2016 I am no longer able to do so. It is a's if my service from Standard Bank have been downgraded. If my Debit Mastercard cannot do online purchases why was I able to do it previously.

If this trend continues much longer I will have no alternative but to change banks. That will be unfortunate as I have always been with Standard Bank.

0 Kudos
jesmidego

@Saruman305, have there been any updates with regards to the escalation?
cele3661
Occasional Contributor

I don't know if purchasing something from Google play is considered as an online purchase or like paying for a service were there is a free service and paying one. I think this is quite diff from online purchase, and doesn't require to have a credit card. And when we are trying to make does payment there is an option to choose which card I'm using, and there'll be an option for debit card. If I can't make those types of payment with my debit card, why they is an option of it?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coordinator

Hi Cele36661,

What type of account do you have with us?

Regards,

Standard Bank Team

0 Kudos
cele3661
Occasional Contributor

Access account
0 Kudos
Krees12345

My card number is a problem when linking to my google play account. I am unable to make purchases, what could be causing this?
0 Kudos
Community Coordinator

Hi Krees12345,

I'd recommend you check for the below things:

1. Ensure you are using the right debit card number which is printed on your debit card.

2. If you're using the right debit card number and still facing the issue, I'd suggest you remove and add the payment method on google settings.

Also, I'd suggest you check the settings of your Google Payments account to make sure your address and other billing information in the payment method provided are up to date and match the information in the personal information.

If you are still unable to add your debit card to your account, I recommend you contact one-on-one support team of google for better assistance.

Let me know if this helps.

Best,

Boitumelo

0 Kudos