Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Why can't I make online purchases with my Debit MasterCard?

50 REPLIES 50
FanaM1
Community Coordinator

Hi @kruger2.

Although certain websites do not allow it, a debit card can be used to make online purchases.

When neither a check nor a credit card are accessible. You can continue to make online purchases with a virtual card you've already purchased.

We would also encourage you to reach out to our fraud team by dialling 0860 000 222 050 to check why your card cannot process online transactions.

Please let us know if the above information was useful.

Regards,

Fana.

Standard Bank Team

kruger2

Hi, I've tried to make online purchases with my Cheque card online to Checkers and Take a Lot but my card gets blocked everytime. Please can I get assistance on how to resolve. 

Kind regards

Bro
I want to make online payments but it won't work. Even registering my card on something like Uber or Shyft I get a message saying: "Couldn't verify Card" please explain?
FanaM1
Community Coordinator

Good day @Lendabukeka.

Although certain websites do not let it, the debit card is capable of making online purchases.

when neither a cheque nor a credit card is available. You can continue using a virtual card you've already created to make purchases online.

Please let us know if the information above was helpful.

Regards,

Fana.

Lendabukeka
I want to be able to make online payments
FanaM1
Community Coordinator

Hi @Nabworks.

The debit card is capable of online payments, though some websites do not allow it.

in the absence of a cheque or credit card. You can create a virtual card and continue using it to process online purchases.

Please let us know if the above information helped.

Kind regards,

Fana.

Nabworks
Why don't they tell us about the debit and cheque wat wat before hand.... personally I feel like this is incompetent for standard bank to do this
FanaM1
Community Coordinator

Hi @QueenB.

What error message are you getting? You can create a virtual card, link it to your checkers app, and continue using it to process online purchases.

Your response is appreciated.

Kind regards.

Fana.

QueenB

Hi. I have a cheque card and I still cant make purchased on the Checkers app. My card is enabled for online purchases and i have no problem with paying on Takealot. 

So what is the issue on the Checkers app? It is very frustrating! Esecially when I need to order essentials for my family

FanaM1
Community Coordinator

Hi @petruscoetzee14.

What error message did you get, and what type of a card is it? Kindly share more about insurance query so I am able to assist.

Kind regards.

Fana

petruscoetzee14
Hlo is not why can't I make online purchase I had 3 policy in standard Bank the reason is I don't work anymore so how do i claim my doctor has bord me from work
ReginaldM
My Banking app & my card don't work can you please help me fast?
MandyP
Community Coordinator

Hello @Liberty,

Please be advised that you can now reverse unauthorised debit orders on the online banking platform, as well as, the mobile banking app. Please visit: https://community.standardbank.co.za/t5/Internet-banking/How-to-reverse-a-Debit-Order-on-Online-Bank... for more information on how you can reverse your unauthorised debit orders on the online/internet banking platform, as well as, https://community.standardbank.co.za/t5/Key-app-features

Please be advised that you can only reverse debit orders for R200 and below. Any amount above that will need to be reversed through the contact center or at your nearest branch.

Kind Regards,

Mandy

Liberty
New Contributor
Hey guys how 2 reverse debit order quick plz help
Shakeelah
Occasional Visitor

If i upgrade my student achievers account to cheque, in order to make online purchases, will all the student benefits associated with the student achiever's account still be applicable? 

Cebokhumalo
3 years later and nothing has changed. I'm switching banks. It's useless to have an account but not be able to make online purchases. Standard Bank seriously needs do something about this.
MandyP
Community Coordinator

Hello @mamakgatokatleg

With all debit MasterCard you won't be able to transact online. Please note, a debit card is meant for swipe and withdrawal transactions. For online transactions, you will need to upgrade to either a cheque or credit card.

Let me know should you need further assistance.

Regards,

Mandy

mamakgatokatleg
Why can't I make online purchases with my debit card
TeeKay93
Occasional Visitor
I have cheque account but I'm unable to do online shopping😏
Zee101
Occasional Visitor

I concur

@Saruman305 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I just think if that's the case, there really shouldn't be a MasterCard symbol on our debit cards. It's very misleading. Guess I'm going to have to change banks then. Those cards are too expensive at Standard Bank.