Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Why can't I make online purchases with my Debit MasterCard?

Krees12345
My card number is a problem when linking to my google play account. I am unable to make purchases, what could be causing this?
cele3661
Occasional Contributor
StandardBank
Community Coordinator

Hi Cele36661,

What type of account do you have with us?

Regards,

Standard Bank Team

cele3661
Occasional Contributor
I don't know if purchasing something from Google play is considered as an online purchase or like paying for a service were there is a free service and paying one. I think this is quite diff from online purchase, and doesn't require to have a credit card. And when we are trying to make does payment there is an option to choose which card I'm using, and there'll be an option for debit card. If I can't make those types of payment with my debit card, why they is an option of it?
jesmidego
@Saruman305, have there been any updates with regards to the escalation?
antonzwiegelaar
New Contributor

I have used my Debit Mastercard regularly to do online shopping. Since July 2016 I am no longer able to do so. It is a's if my service from Standard Bank have been downgraded. If my Debit Mastercard cannot do online purchases why was I able to do it previously.

If this trend continues much longer I will have no alternative but to change banks. That will be unfortunate as I have always been with Standard Bank.

StandardBank
Community Coordinator

Hi Saruman305,

Thanks for the feedback. I have escalated it to the relevant department.

Regards,

Standard Bank Team

Saruman305
New Contributor
Thanks for the reply. I just think if that's the case, there really shouldn't be a MasterCard symbol on our debit cards. It's very misleading. Guess I'm going to have to change banks then. Those cards are too expensive at Standard Bank.
StandardBank
Community Coordinator

Hi, you need to have a credit card or a cheque card for online purchases. 

gageridley
Occasional Visitor
I'm having the same problem. Decided to look on the forums for help too.
Saruman305
New Contributor
I've been trying to use my card to make online purchases on Amazon and other such websites, but my card somehow doesn't work for these things. I can't even link it to Google Play, Über or PayPal. Do I have to get a special card for these things? Because my understanding is that you should be able to use MasterCard everywhere.