Community

Share knowledge. Find answers. Ask questions.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

how to cancel or reverse a debit order

pete2
New Contributor

how to cancel or reverse a debit order

How can I cancel an unauthorised debit order without visiting a branch as I am currently overseas. Please help - thanks

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES
Highlighted
Community Coordinator

Re: how to cancel or reverse a debit order

Hello @pete2,

A debit order can only be cancelled with the company that is debiting you. Banks do not have the authority to do so and this is the reason why contact must be made with the company debiting you to cancel the debit order. The Bank can however assist you with loading a stop payment for the debit order amount whilst you are in the process of cancelling the debit order. You may contact us on 0860 101 341 to request that an unauthorized debit order be reversed but this needs to be done within 45 days of the debit order date. 

Kind Regards,

Mandy

0 Kudos
pete2
New Contributor

Hi Mandy

Thanks for your response. I obtained contact details from Standard Bank about the debit order  - it was set up many months ago but without my permission from Naedo. The contact phone numbers are either engaged or voice saying call later. I am certain this is a scam but having trouble cancelling the direct debit order. I also want to know how to get the payments back as cannot understand how a debit order was set up without my permission especially as this has happened before. 

Thanks and hope you can help further.

0 Kudos
Siyabulelatokhw
Occasional Visitor

I want to reavers the money from 1life funeral cover the need R187.57 know
Community Coordinator

Hello @Siyabulelatokhw

A debit order can only be cancelled with the company that is debiting you. Banks do not have the authority to do so and this is the reason why contact must be made with the company debiting you to cancel the debit order. The Bank can however assist you with loading a stop payment for the debit order amount whilst you are in the process of cancelling the debit order. You may contact us on 0860 101 341 to request that an unauthorized debit order be reversed but this needs to be done within 45 days of the debit order date. 

Kind Regards,

Mandy

0 Kudos
pete2
New Contributor

Thanks Mandy. As this is a scam I cannot contact them and do not know who they are. The only information I have was supplied by Standard Bank - phone numbers tht nobody answers so your solution does not help and I need the help of my bank. It seems crazy that if victim of a scam allowed by the bank, that all up to me to sort out without any information. Please suggest another way. Thanks

0 Kudos