Community

Share knowledge. Find answers. Ask questions.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

How do I get the prepaid electricity to work???

Solved
samwright1307

How do I get the prepaid electricity to work???

Can someone please help me? I purchased R100 pre paid electricity on my standard bank mobile application. I was then sent an SMS notification which confirmed the transaction and my new account balance. HOWEVER even though I'm -100 from my bank account I did not recieve any input code for my elec meter to load the electricity I have purchased and when I finally got home it has not been loaded either and I'm still on 2watt hours ...... Where do I retrieve the input code??? Or did I just get weaseled out of a hundred bucks??
Go to the solution >
0 Kudos
25 REPLIES
Community Coordinator

Re: How do I get the prepaid electricity to work??...

Hi,

It is important to check your bank statement as the money will not be deducted from your account if the transaction was not processed. If the money was taken from your account, you may call us on 0860 238 837 so that we may assist you further.

Kind regards,

Standard Bank

0 Kudos
Bethesda
Solution
New Contributor

Hi

The money is returned the next day,

Let it be known that the app works 2% of the time the rest of the time is fails, StandardBank is well aware of this issue and fails to correct it but what makes me the most upset is the fact that the part that takes your money is flawless.

There is so much developement put into insuring that the money is taken and also returned (which shows us that they know of the error) yet the issue of the failure to supply you with the electricity code doesnt get any attention.

Let me run a scenario for you guys here, Imagine you have 1 unit left and you need to buy electrcity and all you have left in your account is R200, so you buy via the app for R200 and guess what Standard Bank gets there money but the app fails to give you the code, now you have no money to go to the shop and buy the "manual" way as Standard Bank has insured that the money processing part of the system works 100% but the rest not so now you are forced into darkness by a bank that should be considerate for there clients.

If you cant run the function remove it till such time you can depend on it to work so that we can use the function as we all do greatly appreciate the ablilty to buy electricity via the app when it works.

0 Kudos
Community Coordinator

Hi Bethesda,

This is an issue that we have been discussing with our electricity suppliers. Please be mindful that the money will still be available in your account until the transaction goes through and you get your electricity voucher number.

Regards,

Standard Bank Team

0 Kudos
Bethesda
New Contributor

Hi

Im aware you have being trying to correct this from early 2015.This is why i say rather remove the function till such time you are able to insure that it works, you leaving the app up and having us feel that maybe today it works then it doesnt is false hope

Infact i tried last night and it failed

and im unsure if you have used the app at all, but when you buy the money is taken from your account, yes its returned the next day without fail but the money if it was your last will not be availble for you to draw or swipe at a till if you now had to go buy electrcity.

So for someone who has money in the account it wont be a major problem as they can use other money and get the failed buy money the next day but the issue is that if you dont have any other besides to buy and you guys take it you leave the client with no chance to go get electricity via another method

Also i have being watching the forums and you have being stating for months now that you guys are speaking to the municipality.yet a year later here we are still complaining about this issue, why not focus on this instead of getting IOS App for your Apple Gear watch? 

0 Kudos
Community Coordinator

Hi Bethesda,

Which area are you in?

Regards,

Standard Bank Team

0 Kudos
Bethesda
New Contributor

Cape Town

Western Cape

0 Kudos
Community Coordinator

Hi Bethesda,

Unfortunately the service is not available in Cape Town. You can buy electricity using the ATM or USSD code.

Regards,

Standard Bank Team

0 Kudos
Bethesda
New Contributor

Hi

Thanks for your support and for informing me that the app is none functional within the Western Cape.

Im a loyal STD Bank client and have always accepted your approach to things but of late more and more reasons push me to consider moving as its emabarresing when other Banks have the same function and it works flawlessly for a longer period than you have had the function up.

I hope you guys are able to correct the issue at hand because just saying the app doesnt work in my area is a quick and fast way to put out the fire while still having the ember of the issue burning under the blanket.

Everyone should be very concerned when a big bank cant handle a simple app when they entire bank runs on applications which store you money electronically and calculate interest etc, imagine all your money disappears and your repsonse is "oh well because you in Western Cape sometimes the money just disappears"

the reason for the forums is for us to comunicate with you informing you of issues so you can target and correct not as a venting spot to have people voice the issues then you just blow it off.

and once again thanks for all your support

0 Kudos
Community Coordinator

Hi Bethesda,

I would like to apologise for all this confusion. We will notify you as soon as the matter has been settled with the municipality.

Regards,

Standard Bank Team

0 Kudos
michellefurlong

I have just bought R150 worth of electricity and the value has been taken from my account, I received a receipt but no code to load the electricity - please assist immediately as I would really like my money back and or the electricity - I live in Cape Town

0 Kudos
Community Coordinator

Hi,

This is concerning, can you please contact 0860 238 837 for assistance on this matter. 

0 Kudos
dbraga
Occasional Visitor

Shocking service and communication from standard on the purchase of electricity in Cape Town for the last year....fix it or turn off the functionality standard bank...get with the times won't you!!!!!
0 Kudos
Community Coordinator

Hi

We are currently experiencing an issue with the Cape Town area only. For any problems with other areas please call us on 0860 238 837 so that we may assist you further.

Kind regards,

Standard Bank

0 Kudos
marion

hi

I've also purchased a voucher for R300 which is worth it 289kwh it only loaded 4kwh. Then I purched another R300 worth only 127kwh??? which eventually did load. So R600 was deducted from my account but I never got the amount of electricity I paid for.

PLEASE ADVISE!!!

0 Kudos
Community Coordinator

H Marion,

Please call the metering company with the reference number of the voucher for assistance with that.

Regards,

Standard Bank Team

0 Kudos
pvbodenhausen
Occasional Visitor

Dear all

Standard Bank has proven not being able to solve the prepaid electricity problem and the community doubts that it will be resolved in the future. And definitely one has not to go all days to an ATM or point of sale to buy electricity. After decades of no development but empty promises in terms of NO prepaid electricity at Standard bank online the best opportunity is to change as soon as possible to another Bank. FNB is definitely doing very well with its tool to provide good and reliable electricity prepaid services and it is exactly the tool I need for banking if there is no ATM or point of sale available or if I am in the bush.

Menawhile I changed all my accounts to FNB because I hate getting no service these modern days.

0 Kudos
zhrbenjamin

What is the ussd code for buying electricity
0 Kudos
Community Coordinator

Hi,

Please dial *120*2345#.

0 Kudos
desireehapgoods

I have bought electricity at the atm. Usually it works but now it's been 2 days and still I have not received a code nor has my meter been updated or has they returned my money. What am I suppose to do now?
0 Kudos