Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Screen overlay detected

Solved
ryankrull
VIP
Unfortunately the branch most likely won't have the technical expertise to troubleshoot this issue for you. I am the technical lead in the team that implemented this feature so I'm in the best position to assist you with this.

The following link explains how to identify which apps could trigger the "screen overlay" detected issue (depending on which version of Android you are using): https://www.howtogeek.com/271519/how-to-fix-the-screen-overlay-detected-error-on-android/

Are there any apps listed in the "Draw over other apps' section?
Tsh77271
Occasional Contributor
I'm just going to go into a standard bank and try ask there because the problem started when a flurry of apps were updated. It is worth noting I do not have an excessive amount of apps or apps that may be considered problematic that might cause this problem.

Thank you for trying to assess the problem
ryankrull
VIP
OK thanks for confirming. I've tested with that app on two devices on my side and wasn't able to reproduce the issue. Were there any other apps that you may have installed between being able to use the banking app vs being stopped by the screen overlay issue?
Tsh77271
Occasional Contributor
ryankrull
VIP
I see quite a few Boxing round timer apps in the Play store. Did you download the one published by "Net Income CZ"?
Tsh77271
Occasional Contributor
Thank you very much
ryankrull
VIP
Thanks. I'll try replicate the issue on my side. I'll let you know if I find anything.
Tsh77271
Occasional Contributor
Boxing round interval timer
ryankrull
VIP
Would you mind giving me the name of that app which you uninstalled? I'd like to see if there are any known issues with that app. Its possible that that app installed malware without your knowledge. I'd like to try rule that out.
Tsh77271
Occasional Contributor
Good day

Upon your recommendation I uninstalled the app I downloaded just before the error occurred and have restarted my phone to no avail
ryankrull
VIP
Hi Tsh77271

I am from the technical team working on the mobile banking application. We added the screen overlay detection mechanism to the app to address security vulnerabilities related to the use of "Full Screen Overlay" apps such as , but not limited to, Screen Dimmers. Malicious overlay apps can capture your private information (like usernames and passwords).

This mechanism has been in the app since last year sometime. Can you perhaps remember which app or apps you installed just prior to seeing the screen overlay warning from the mobile banking application?
Tsh77271
Occasional Contributor
good day

I have been using the standard bank app on my phone pretty much everyday for going on a year. I have recently started to receive a screen over lay issue which won't let me use the app. I do not have screen dimmers and I have disabled all the apps from overlaying and still nothing please help.
Go to the solution >