Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Screen overlay detected

Solved
31 REPLIES 31
StephenR
Occasional Visitor
I'm getting this same issue on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10
Nicv
As soon as I open the App it display the message screen overlay. Your advise is to close my keyboard, but it is not open yet.
Help please
ishaaraharnold
Occasional Visitor
Hello.

I have an android p30 and I received the screen overlay message in my app that won't allow me to login. I was directed then to my app permissions to turn off screen overlay but it seems my latest Android syetem UI. App called 'system ui' has a screen overlay function that I can't disable. Also since it's my android UI I can't disable it. Please help since it's really frustrating as I want to use my mobile banking.
Moise
Many thanks,i have managed to maneuver over it.Viva Standard Bank from Malawi.
juned393
New Contributor
Thanks for pointing buddy...
After step 3, again tap on More and select show system apps and then finally turn off screen overlay of all apps.....
deviddevid
Finally I got working solution but I think we also need to Select Show System Apps after step 3 as shown on https://screenoverlaydetected.com
juned393
New Contributor

To be true Screen Overlay is basic feature used by almost every application.
Messenger Chat Head, Inbox Messages Preview and Whatsapp Messages Popups are all examples of screen overlay feature, so you can't uninstall all application to resolve Screen Overlay Detected popups on your device...
You just need to manually turn off screen overlay of all applications in your device, Follow following settings to turn off screen overlay of android application:
> Settings
>Application Manager
>Click on Three Dots (Top right corner) & Select Draw Over Other Apps
>Turn off screen overlay of all apps one by one
This must solve the issue of screen overlay in your device...
If this isn't solving screen overlay issue in your device or you haven't got my answer then refer to below reference: How to turn off screen overlay.
screen overlay detected

Or you can also refer to site from the official source:

how to turn off screen overlay

ryankrull
VIP
Glad you got it working. Thanks for posting your solution here!
Jamz
New Contributor

Hey Ryan,

Thank you for responding.

I upgraded to Kitkat and that seemed to haved worked. No more overlay error.

Thanks again.....Cheers

ryankrull
VIP

Hi Jamz. Is your virtual keyboard open when you tap on the login button and is it in any way obscurring/covering that login button?

Jamz
New Contributor

Hi, I just  purchased a second hand phone, Samsung S4 mini. Its running Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. I don't have the menus listed as on the previous posts to disable the overlay. 

I removed all the unwanted software that is on the handset. Not sure what else to look for. Please help.

ryankrull
VIP
Thanks Tsh77271 and ife01. I have been able to successfully reproduce this issue on my side. We can now work on a permanent solution for this issue.

@ Tsh77271 thanks for providing the info on how to reproduce the issue. Without this we'd still be struggling to figure out why this issue is affecting certain users and not others.
Tsh77271
Occasional Contributor
I use TouchPal pro but the problem extends across both TouchPal and TouchPal pro
ife01
New Contributor
Thank you very much for this information. Hiding the keyboard worked. I use touchpal.
ryankrull
VIP
Hi ife01. Are you perhaps using a 3rd party keyboard?
ryankrull
VIP
Thanks for the feedback Tsh77271. Would you mind telling us which specific 3rd party keyboard you are using? We have tested our solution using certain 3rd party keyboards and weren't able to reproduce the problem. This issue may be related to only certain 3rd party keyboards.
Tsh77271
Solution
Occasional Contributor
I deeply apologise for not updating everyone on my solution.

For those using any third party key boards(touch pal and any others that are not the stock keyboard that was pre installed on your phone). When signing in on the standard bank app, the app reads your keyboard as a screen overlay app. Simply hide your keyboard before you press sign in. You can do this by
*after typing in your password or details
1. Press the back button *once* so your key board is hidden/not visible on the display
2. Press any where on the screen that will make your key board not visible IE. Any where on the screen that doesn't have a function. Any blank space.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DISABLE/UNINSTALL/INSTALL ANY APPS

I hope this was helpful thank you to the standard bank technical team for responding and trying to help
ife01
New Contributor

I am fed up with trying to sign in on the mobile app. I have disabled all apps that can draw over other apps. I have not recently installed any app.

What else can I do?

ryankrull
VIP
I've seen some reports saying that the "Dim Screen" function in TalkBack can also cause screen overlay issues. Please try disabling the "DIM screen" setting in TalkBack, if it is enabled, and try again.

If that doesn't work I'd like to make a plan to contact you telephonically or in person.
Tsh77271
Occasional Contributor
I am running stock android on my nexus 6P the Google apps and talk back are the only ones that are listed.

I have tried disabling all of them even uninstalling and re-installing the standard back app