Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

how to cancel or reverse a debit order

Solved
Comfy
Occasional Visitor
That is what I always do, however I have been experiecing the same problem from the same people taking my money under a certain company name. My problem is having to call everytime this happens. A consultant told me that they cannot block these people stealing from me so I have to call whever they take money. I think it will be much better if we can be able to reverse the transactions directly from the app and then block them afterwards.
Makhosonke1010
Visitor
MandyP
Community Coordinator

Hello @3094,

Please be advised that the bank regards the safety and security of our customers as crucial and has a zero tolerance approach to fraud of any nature.  Customers who notice an unauthorised debit order on their accounts are encouraged to contact their bank immediately to reverse the transaction. This can be done at a branch or through the call centre on 0860 123 000. There are no fees associated with this reversal as long as the transaction is reversed within 40 days of the transaction taking place. Customers who feel that they have been incorrectly debited or charged for a service that they did not subscribe to should also contact the company directly to stop any future debit orders. Customers are also encouraged to lay a criminal complaint with the South African Police Service. In turn, Standard Bank does report any suspicious transactions under strict regulatory guidelines to the relevant authorities.

Kind Regards,

Mandy

Occasional Visitor

I have realised that there is an illegal direc debit I dont know from my account. How do I do to cancel it.

thanks

Maphuti Gondo

MandyP
Solution
Community Coordinator

Hello @Liana,

Please be advised that the bank regards the safety and security of our customers as crucial and has a zero tolerance approach to fraud of any nature.  Customers who notice an unauthorised debit order on their accounts are encouraged to contact their bank immediately to reverse the transaction. This can be done at a branch or through the call centre on 0860 123 000. There are no fees associated with this reversal as long as the transaction is reversed within 40 days of the transaction taking place. Customers who feel that they have been incorrectly debited or charged for a service that they did not subscribe to should also contact the company directly to stop any future debit orders. Customers are also encouraged to lay a criminal complaint with the South African Police Service. In turn, Standard Bank does report any suspicious transactions under strict regulatory guidelines to the relevant authorities.

Regards,

Mandy

Liana
Regular Visitor
MandyP
Community Coordinator

Hello @Mabalwa1,

Kind Regards,

Mandy

Mabalwa1
New Contributor
There's always this unauthorised debits for R99 and less. Surely I cannot drive for that. Please assist.
Zanolene
I need help to reverse a debit order and cancel it. Can you please assist
Kingzp
New Contributor
I had the same issue in capitec and in no time my money was back though using their app.
Kingzp
New Contributor
This must have an option on the app to do this. Capitec Bank have this option on thier app. It takes immediatly after reversing the money. No need to wait 48 hours. Standard Bank please provide this option.
Fiflas

How to reverse or cancel debit orders

Ntshebele
Occasional Visitor
This bank does not value clients. Am moving my finances. When you call their agents, be prepared to wait 5 minutes before they pick up. Then they will take 5 minutes doing security checks and atleast 10 to 15 minutes while they tell you wait few seconds. It takes atleast 20 minutes of your airtime for them to reverse your money. Other banks have measures to prevent such unauthorised debits from client accounts
By the way, we used to be able to load the reversal on standardbank Internet banking. That capacity was disabled. I suspect this bank knows where this phoney companies are from. Atleast someone in this bank must be benefitting from this fraud. Otherwise why support it do much?
MandyP
Community Coordinator

Hello @Rangata1974,

Kind Regards,

Mandy

Rangata1974
New Contributor
Rangata1974
New Contributor
Rangata1974
New Contributor
MandyP
Community Coordinator

Hello @As2,

Kind Regards,

Mandy

As2
Visitor