Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Samsung Pay: FAQs (Part 1)

1. What is Samsung Pay? 

Samsung Pay is a convenient and simple way to make mobile payments with compatible Samsung Galaxy smartphones, and it works at virtually any retailer where you can tap or swipe. Retailers still reserves the right to accept or decline contactless phone payments.

1. Why should I use Samsung Pay instead of my plastic cards?

Samsung Pay offers a simple and convenient payment experience that is quicker than searching through your wallet or purse for your payment card. Additionally, Samsung Pay adds a level of security to your payment information that physical cards do not have.

1. How does Samsung Pay work?

Samsung Pay uses proprietary Magnetic Secure Transmission (MST) and Near Field Communication (NFC) technologies to make contactless mobile payments.

1. What devices are compatible with Samsung Pay? 

Samsung Pay is now available on the following devices:
Galaxy S9/S9+, Galaxy S8/S8+, Galaxy S7/S7 edge, Galaxy Note 8, Galaxy A8, Galaxy A7 (2017), Galaxy A5 (2017). Galaxy A5/A7 (2017 Edition) will be available during the month on August.  
Please visit http://www.samsung.com/za/samsung-pay for a full list of supported devices.

1. Can Samsung Pay make online purchases?

Unfortunately this feature is not yet available in South Africa.

1. Can I use Samsung Pay in foreign countries?

Please check your banks policies for transacting in foreign countries. If you can use your current plastic card in the country you are travelling to, you should be able to use the same enrolled card in Samsung Pay to make a payment as long as the country you are visiting supports Samsung Pay.
The use of Samsung Pay in each country is subject to the laws and regulations of the service territory and any other rules determined by the relevant merchant, payment processor, payment network, regulator, and government authority.

1. In which countries will Samsung Pay be available? 

Samsung Pay is currently available in South Korea, United States, China, Spain, Australia, Singapore, Puerto Rico, Brazil, Russia, Canada, Thailand, Malaysia, India, Sweden, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Switzerland, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Belarus, Mexico and Italy.

1. Where can I use Samsung Pay?

Samsung Pay can be used almost anywhere. With our propriety Magnetic Secure Transmission (MST) technology a merchant that does not have a contactless payment terminal can still accept Samsung Pay. Merchants can at their sole discretionary choose to accept or decline a Samsung Pay transaction.

1. Can I use a corporate card issued by one of the supported card issuers?

Please contact your Bank for confirmation.

1. What are Samsung Pay’s main features?

Samsung Pay enables users to make in-store contactless payments using the Galaxy S9/S9+, Note8, S8/S8+, S7/S7 edge, A8 2018, A7 2017, A5 2017. Samsung Pay’s main features are its proprietary MST technology and its NFC payments capability which makes it the most accepted mobile payment solution.

1. How do I make in-store purchases with Samsung Pay?

• Initiate Samsung Pay by either swiping-up on the screen or opening the Samsung Pay app.
  • Select the card you want to pay with by swiping left or right.
  • Authenticate using your iris, fingerprint or with your 4 digit Samsung Pay PIN.
  • Place your phone near the magnetic card reader or NFC reader to complete the transaction.

1. How can I cancel a payment made using Samsung Pay? 

Cancelling a payment made with Samsung Pay is the same as a physical card. The process would depend on the policies of the bank/merchant.

1. How is my default payment card in Samsung Pay determined?

There is not a "default" card in Samsung Pay. When you open the Samsung Pay app or activate the favourite cards by swiping up from the Home Key on supported screens, the first card displayed is either the last card you registered or the last card you viewed or used.

1. The cashier asks for the last 4 digits or 4 random digits from the digital card but the transaction still does not pass, what to do?

In some cases, the merchant may ask you for the last four digits or random digits from the card number.

You will need to provide the last four or the random digits from the 16 digit card number displayed in Samsung Pay, instead of the last four or random digits of the physical plastic card. For ease of use, it is located on the left side of the card when making a payment.

1. How can I keep track of purchases I’ve made with Samsung Pay?

The last 10 transactions made with Samsung Pay in the past 30 days are viewable in the Samsung Pay app. Simply tap on a registered card in the app to see the Samsung Pay transactions made with that card. Additionally, a real-time push notifications with transaction details will be sent after each Samsung Pay purchase.
Transaction information might not be provided for all cards

Real-time push notifications require an active internet connection.

1. Can I continue to use my physical payment card if I disable Samsung Pay or remove the digital equivalent on Samsung Pay? 

Yes. When you disable Samsung Pay or remove a registered card, you are only suspending or deleting the digital card that has been assigned to your device for that card. Your physical plastic card will still work as expected.

1. What should I do if I lose my original payment card and then receive a replacement card?

The payment cards on Samsung Pay are digital versions of your physical payment cards. If you lose your original payment card and then receive a replacement card, you need to remove the original digital card from Samsung Pay and register the replacement card.

1. How to install Samsung Pay on my eligible phone? 

Verify that you are running the latest version of firmware on your Samsung smartphone.  If you see a Samsung Pay icon, select it and follow the onscreen prompts alternately  you can download Samsung Pay from either Galaxy Apps or Google Play store.

1. In what situation will the cashier asks me to enter my bank PIN code in the terminal? 

The cashier will ask you to enter your PIN code in the payment terminal only when prompted to do so, this is based on the transaction value or payment technology that was used. This PIN will be the actual PIN of your plastic card.

1. Will I receive a receipt after making a purchase with Samsung Pay? 

When paying with Samsung Pay you will receive a merchant receipt for your purchases just as you would with a physical card.

1. How do I return a purchase if I used Samsung Pay to make the payment?

All purchases made with Samsung Pay can be returned according to the store’s policies. If you return an item paid for with Samsung Pay, the store will require you to tap your Samsung Galaxy smartphone onto either the magnetic card reader or the NFC reader on the payment terminal to complete the return.

1. Do I need to have an active internet connection for Samsung Pay to work?

Samsung Pay requires an active internet connection for card registration and activation. Most cards will allow you to make up to 10 transactions before you will need to connect to the internet and refresh the Samsung Pay information. It is recommended that your Samsung Galaxy smartphone should connect to the internet once per day to ensure that Samsung Pay stays up to date.

1. For some cards, Samsung Pay is not keeping track of purchases I have made using the application. Is there an issue with the application or my card?

No. Transaction history may not be available for selected card types from certain banks. Samsung Pay may not show your transaction history depending on the policies set by your bank.
In these cases, you can open your bank app if installed on your device; or use the online banking services provided by your bank to check your transaction history.

1. The card image I see in Samsung Pay does not match my physical card. Is there an issue with my card?

No, the card displayed in Samsung Pay might not always exactly match your physical card.
The key points to look for are:

• The Card Issuer (Bank)
  • The Card Network (Visa or MasterCard)
  • The last four digits of the physical card

Contributors
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎21-08-2018 04:11 PM
Updated by:

Comments
MandyP
Community Coordinator

Samsung Pay FAQs (Part 2)

1. How can merchants accept Samsung Pay as a payment method? 

Samsung Pay allows most merchants to accept mobile payments without upgrading their existing payment terminals.

1. Is Samsung Pay blocked when entering the PIN, fingerprint and/or iris incorrectly?

The user can make 5 attempts to unlock the application by authenticating with their fingerprint and/or Iris. After 5 failed attempts Samsung Pay will no longer accept a Fingerprint or Iris for authentication. The user will have 20 attempts to enter the correct PIN, thereafter all Samsung Pay data will be deleted and all linked cards will be deregistered.  

1. How long is the OTP (one time PIN) valid for after registering a card in Samsung Pay?

This will vary from bank to bank, but generally not longer than 15 minutes.

1. What is the "Retry" button I see when I am trying to make a payment?

The “retry” button appears when the countdown timer has reached its end and the device has not detected an NFC payment or has not received a notification of a successful payment. The “retry” button allows you to begin the payment process, one additional time, without reauthorizing using your fingerprint, iris or PIN.

Note: When an NFC transaction is completed, the retry button will not be shown. Additionally, if a payment success notification is received, the retry button will not be shown.

1. How can I register my bank card?

Bank cards can be added to Samsung Pay by scanning your actual card, Tapping your contactless card on the back of your Samsung Galaxy smartphone or entering the card information manually. Then, depending on the policies set by your bank, Samsung Pay will verify your identity through a One time PIN or a phone call to the bank.

If you previously used Samsung Pay, you will be able to import your previously enrolled cards, so you don't need to enter the card details again. You will however be required to re-activate these cards via a One time PIN or by calling the bank.

1. How long will it take for my card to activate after registering it to Samsung Pay?

The average time between the completion of the application to activation should be within minutes, but can take up to 10 minutes if any additional verification requirements are needed.
If this amount of time has been exceeded, remove the card from Samsung Pay and add it again. Contact your bank for assistance if you continue to encounter delays.

1. How many cards can I register into Samsung Pay?

You can register up to 10 payment cards in Samsung Pay. (Credit Cards, Debit Cards, and Cheque Cards from our supported banking partners.)

1. Can I register the same card with more than one device using Samsung Pay?

Yes. The total number of devices you can add a card may vary depending on your bank. Please contact your bank for more details.

1. Can I use Wi-Fi for card registration in Samsung pay?

Yes. However, for the best experience, the device should have a SIM card installed. If you encounter any issues when adding the payment card over Wi-Fi, we suggest switching to a mobile data connection.

1. What should I do if I have trouble adding a payment card to Samsung Pay?

Please contact your bank and verify that you bank card is eligible for Samsung Pay. Some cards from participating banks may not currently be supported in Samsung Pay.
Samsung Pay also requires an active internet connection when adding each card. Verify that you are connected to the internet via a Wi-Fi network or your mobile data connection. For mobile data, data charges may apply.

1. When I attempt to add a card to Samsung Pay, a message is telling me that it cannot ‘’provision’’ my card.

We suggest contacting your bank for further information. Not all card types are eligible to be used with Samsung Pay. Additionally, there may be other items required prior to adding a card with the Samsung Pay service. Only your bank will have these details.

1. Can I register a card when I am outside South Africa?

Yes. However, attempting to register and activate a card while you are outside South Africa may require you to contact your bank during the registration process.

1. How can I register my card?

Cards can be either automatically registered by scanning your card with Samsung Pay, manually inputting the card information or holding your contactless payment card to the back of your Galaxy Smartphone.
Then, depending on the policies set by your bank, Samsung Pay will prompt you to verify your identity via a SMSOTP (One Time PIN) or a phone call.

1. Why do I have to activate imported cards if I have already activated them before resetting my app or on my previous device?

For the security of your cards, each time you log in to Samsung Pay on a new device, you will be required to activate your cards. This way, if your Samsung Account is compromised for any reason, your payment cards remain safe. Even if you are using Samsung Pay on the same device, if the app was re-installed or reset prior to using it, it is treated as a new device and hence requires activation of your cards.

1. Does Samsung Pay save my personal information to import cards?

No. Samsung Pay does not save your personal information in order to import cards.

1. What are 'imported cards'?

If you log in to Samsung Pay on a new device or after re-installing or resetting the app, you will notice that the cards that you previously added to Samsung Pay are available in the Credit/Debit section of the app. These are your imported cards and they are imported for your convenience. For security reasons, you will need to activate your cards before you can use them.

1. How secure is Samsung Pay?

When you add a bank card to Samsung Pay, a device specific digital card number that is completely different to your actual card number is generated by Visa or MasterCard through tokenization that represents your physical card. The digital card is stored in a Secure Environment using Samsung Knox technology to protect your payment information. Your physical card details are not stored by Samsung Pay. This means that every time you make a Samsung Pay transaction your physical card information is never used which makes it more secure than transactions with your plastic card.

The Samsung Pay app verifies your identity with your Iris, Fingerprint or 4 digit Samsung Pay specific PIN, to ensure each payment is authorised by you.

1. What is Tokenization?

Tokenization is a method of replacing your sensitive payment card information (Card Number, Expiration Date, Security code, etc.) with a device-specific digital card number, or ‘Token’ which acts as a surrogate card number. In mobile payments, Tokens are used to protect your payment information and to reduce the security risks inherent to plastic cards.

1. What is a Secure Environment, or Trusted Execution Environment?

A Secure Environment is a physically segregated environment in the phone which carries out secure operations such as iris and fingerprint authentication and storing payment information. Normal applications have no access to the information in the Secure Environment.

1. How is Samsung KNOX used with Samsung Pay?

Samsung KNOX scans to see if your phone is secure, and disables Samsung Pay if your phone is compromised in order to protect your payment information. Samsung Knox also includes a security design whereby highly sensitive operations and information, such as fingerprint and payment information, are kept on a separate computer area known as a “secure environment.” Normal applications or malware have no access to the information inside it.

1. Does Samsung Pay have access to my bank accounts?

No. Samsung Pay does not have access to your bank accounts.

MandyP
Community Coordinator

Samsung Pay FAQs (Part 3)

1. Does Samsung Pay store my personal/payment information on a server or my device?

No. Samsung does not store your payment information on a Samsung server or your smartphone.
Samsung Pay does not change the way your payment information is stored or handled when you make purchases. Your payment information will continue to be managed by Visa or Mastercard and your bank.
Only a device-specific digital card, which is used to replace your sensitive payment information from your plastic card, is stored on the device.

1. Will my Samsung Pay information still be on my device if it is formatted?

No. Formatting your device will remove all bank cards registered to your device.
When you log into Samsung Pay again with your Samsung Account, it will retrieve the card information of your previously enrolled cards so you can re-activate these cards with ease.

1. What should I do if my device is lost or stolen?

If your device is lost or stolen, you can use Samsung’s Find My Mobile service to Lock Samsung Pay or to Wipe Samsung Pay (remove all the payment cards registered onto your device). For more details please visit https://findmymobile.samsung.com. An internet connection is required to use Samsung’s Find My Mobile service.
You can also contact your bank to terminate or suspend the digital tokens in Samsung Pay.

1. Does Samsung Pay store my personal/payment information on a server or my device?

No. Samsung does not store your personal/payment information on a Samsung server or the device. Samsung Pay does not change the way your payment information is stored or handled when you make purchases. Your payment information will continue to be managed by your card network (VISA and Mastercard) and your bank. Only a device-specific Token, which is used to replace your sensitive payment information, is stored on the device.

1. What is MST?

Magnetic Secure Transmission™ or MST, is a ground breaking method of sending data using magnetic waves. MST replicates a card swipe by wirelessly transmitting magnetic waves from the supported Samsung Galaxy smartphone to a standard payment terminal. MST turns almost every payment terminal into a contactless payment receiver.
However some card reader may not be able to accept a MST based transaction due to software and/or hardware limitations.

1. What is NFC?

Near Field Communication or NFC is a method of wirelessly transmitting data using radio waves. Samsung Pay uses NFC to wirelessly transmit payment data to payment terminals with NFC readers that have been activated for use.

1. What is the difference between MST and NFC technology?

For Samsung Pay, either MST or NFC technology can be used to make secure, contactless transactions. The key difference is that almost all merchants can accept MST, which makes Samsung Pay the most accepted mobile payment service in the market.

1. Which is more secure, MST or NFC?

In the context of Samsung Pay, MST and NFC have the same level of security. The payment information transmitted by both MST and NFC is protected using tokenization from Visa and MasterCard.

1. How accurate is the fingerprint scanner?

The Fingerprint scanner is very accurate with a “False-Acceptance Rate” less than .002%.

1. How accurate is the Iris scanner?

The Iris scanner is very accurate with a “False-Acceptance Rate” less than .00001%

1. How close does the device have to be to the card reader for MST to work?

The device must be placed no more than 5cm from the payment terminal in order for MST to work.

1. Can I use both, fingerprint and Iris?

Yes. You can choose the authentication methods that you wish to use in the settings menu. You can then use any of the selected methods to authenticate a transaction.

1. What happens if my fingerprint is not recognized?

You can enter the Samsung Pay PIN you created as a backup option. Samsung Pay will remove the data from the app and deregister all linked cards, if the fingerprint is not recognized after 20 consecutive attempts and the Samsung Pay PIN has not been entered.

1. How can I add a loyalty card to Samsung Pay?

In Samsung Pay, select “Add” on the top right-hand corner in Samsung Pay and tap on “Add Loyalty cards”. Search and select a merchant from the merchant list. You can scan your loyalty card or manually enter the respective card number.
Alternatively, if the merchant is not in the pre-populated list you can click on "Loyalty" and add your loyalty card manually. Please be reminded while Samsung Pay provides you with the convenience of storing your loyalty cards electronically, use of the loyalty cards is subject to the terms and conditions of the loyalty program. Merchants can at their sole discretionary choose to accept or decline a digital loyalty card.

1. What if I can't find a loyalty card that I want in the list?

You can add a loyalty card manually by selecting “Add a card that is not in the list.”

1. How many loyalty cards can I add?

You can add as many loyalty cards as you wish; however, only a total of 12 cards (loyalty, credit, cheque or debit cards) can be added as Favourite Cards. You may select which payment card and loyalty cards you would like to access within the Favourite Card section by selecting “Settings”, then “Manage Favourite Cards”.

1. How do I present my loyalty card in Samsung Pay to the cashier?

Open Samsung Pay by Swiping up from the bottom of the phone, or by clicking on the Samsung Pay icon. Swipe left or right to select the loyalty card if it is in your favourite card list, if not select your card from the banner towards the upper right hand corner of the Favourite Cards screen. Tap on the card and show its barcode (top of screen) to the cashier.
Alternatively, you can select your card from the loyalty card list. Tap on "Tap to use card" and present the barcode/card number to the cashier. Merchants can at their sole discretionary choose to accept or decline a digital loyalty card.

1. What happens to my loyalty card after I decide not to use it?

If you no longer wish to shop at that merchant or use their loyalty card, simply delete the loyalty card in the loyalty tab and it will no longer appear in Samsung Pay.

1. Do we need to integrate or change anything on our POS to accept a Samsung pay payment? 

In most cases the answer is No, unless the Merchant is using an integrated system.  In these cases we would normally test Samsung Pay on their systems first to check compatibility. Failures could occur if the software on the PED is too old.

1. Is it seen as a card on file transaction or card present?

Card Present

1. Is it industry approved?

Yes, PASA has approved Samsung Pay (NFC and MST)

1. How much does it cost?

Samsung does not charge anything for offline transactions, and we do not take any of the interchange rate either. Therefore the customer will not pay anything more for paying with Samsung Pay.

1. What materials or demos are available?

There is quite a bit of material available from Samsung (Videos, documents, whitepapers).

1. Benefit to Merchant WIIFM  (What’s in it for me?)

Security, Ease of payment, faster checkout, customer convenience, promotional opportunities through our Samsung Pay platform, Frictionless experience to the customer, opportunity to get your loyalty card into Samsung pay, Seen as a tech adopter.

Dmangera86
Occasional Visitor

Why are Visa cards not supported on this app? I have been trying to link my card but it constantly says its bot supportes

Boitumelo
Community Coordinator

Hello @Dmangera86,

Both Visa & Mastercard are supported by Samsung Pay. Please share the error message with us so that we can address it with our Samsung pay team: [email protected].

Let us know should you need further assistance on this.

Regards,

Boitumelo

Richmmazibuko
Visitor

Same issue my check card is visa and it says not supported, help or provide a way forward Samsung pay doesn't support screen shorts so I can share the picture 

zaheed
Occasional Visitor

It says here it can take up to 10 minutes to activate a card on Samsung Pay, I've been waiting 2 months!!

Is it just my card, or is there a reason Standard Bank is not activating cards recently? Perhaps to promote Tap & Pay in their own mobile app?