Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

A zero missing in the Balance Sheet?

mehroon
Frequent Contributor
My husband sometimes gets some crazy notions. Now he believes that in the last balance sheet of the Company a zero is missing in the entry under Fixed Property. The figure given is R70 milion but my husband believes it should be R700 million. Barry, Werner, Forumites, your comments?
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
Should be easy to determine if you cast the AFS and make sure the balance sheet balances and the PPE line ties back to the PPE note? Who are the auditors of Masonite?
0 Kudos
Fatima_1
Not applicable
I think the issue is not whether the arithmetic of the Balance Sheet is correct, but whether the item is correctly valued.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
phone the auditors..ask them
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Micky,as long as your husband is not one of the auditors I wouldn't worry too much.
0 Kudos
Maddog
Regular Contributor
funny you should mention this as I also have a few zero's missing on my balance in my bank account
0 Kudos
azra
Not applicable
ABSA owns about 6% of the issued shares in the Company. Would it be a seller at, say, R80-00 per share?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I find it quite hard to believe 'ligitimate' auditors would forget to add a '0', but anything is possible. Have you compared the numbers to previous years, or maybe interim results, etc? that could show the numbers for 6 months ago, then one can see any major irregularities, a missing '0' will make quite a difference...
0 Kudos
hum
Not applicable
My husband is a medical doctor. I know of patients who see spots before their eyes, but never missing zeros.
0 Kudos
samiha
Occasional Contributor
Micky is your husband a compulsive roulette player. Maybe he places his chips only on zero and zero always misses?
0 Kudos