Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Breakfast with Cees Bruggemans

Not applicable
I attended a breakfast this morning, with the key speaker being Cees Bruggemans the Chief Economist at Fnb. It was very interesting to hear his view of the recovery we are presently in.
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
topgun
Super Contributor
Thanks for sharing that with us....
0 Kudos
Vince
Contributor
So what did he say, in short?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
was the breafast tasty?
0 Kudos
Terra
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Not if you left well fed.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
It is bad manners to speak while you are eating.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Breakfast was tasty... Nothing Cees says is short. The recession is over and we are on the road to recovery. Global economy will have positive growth next year while unemployment will remain stubornly high. On the local front the our GDP should ave 1.5-2.5% in 2010 and the R/$ price should ave R7.70. The overal pictured seemed rather cheerful...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
and gold at $800 at end of 2010...
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Thats interesting. Although it doesnt really weight up with the moneyweb report posted earlier today about job losses. Surely recessions dont last 10 months? Do we not have to wait for the knock on effect of job losses this year to filter down into the economy? Then again Cees is pretty sharp and I always enjoy reading his weekly e-mail posts.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
This be the same crystal ball that saw the crash coming or after the crash was saying all is lost..eat the food and network if you must but listern?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
i do find it hard to believe we are in a V shaped recovery. there must be some stumbling blocks along the way to recovery, such as the lagging impact of unemployment maybe?
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Sounds as if Cees is talking the market up like a good bank employee. Suspect FNB needs to ofload a whole lot of equities before the real crash starts.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Na, he is a very pragmatic speaker,i strongly recommend attending his lectures, or following his insites. He called the resource crash in january or february last year - and not jim rodgers style, but with clear and logical reasoning. Don't listen to his final message -that is just his interpretation on the data on the facts on hand - rather follow his reasoning, which is perfectly sound IMO, and draw your own conclusions. Should any of hte underlying conditions he sites the basis for his observations, then reassess
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
I really try to follow his stuff but he drives me mad. Rambles all over the place, can't write in paragraphs, and I personally find little substance to what he's saying. You really have to dig for his points, I find.
0 Kudos