Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

General Question: Whos better off now than last year this time?

Werner_1
Super Contributor
I dont know if anyone will answer to this, but it might be interesting to see who has actually benefitted from the financial/economic crisis and has come out on top - e.g. better off than before/during the crisis.
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
Not applicable
Better, cannot say better off but, worse off? Definately not. I live debt free, and when I have debt I pay it of ASAP, so I dont worry with interest rates etc. Did I benefit? I guess if you say I am equal to the position of last year I guess I did benefit in that way that I have no concerns. Inflation etc adjusted for I guess I am equal.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
last year this time had my own retail business makeing very little profit now trading online makeing more profit and less stress this is the life as long as the markets keep moveing for me ja this is the life!!
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
A question with many answers. Yes I feel I am better off. No it is not because of the "crisis, what crisis?"
0 Kudos
Mr_Money
Regular Contributor
I am not better off than last year , just less worse off. Hope it makes sense
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
last year this time I was working 3 hours a day, at the moment I am not working at all...Last year I was working to make a million...this year I working for 100 times that..Last year the worst that could happen was to lose R20k in a month now I could lose all my cash.(not assests just cash).. I guess if you bet the farm ....
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Werner, last year i did not have a dog. This year i have a dog, which is a man's best friend. Every sunday my dog and I do lapses in our swimming pool. At least twice a week , we do road running of at least 5km. He never complains just a happy go lucky dog. So life is good.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
what happened to your husband/wife ??
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
did you see my post to you regarding buying the high?
0 Kudos
BRE
Regular Contributor
Well I recon my family and I are ... been earning USD for a good couple of years and putting most of it away. Got into share trading in 2006 which was late in the boom so didn't invest heavily. Still saving most of our income but been investing some of it since December last year and trading futures with a bit as well.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Thanks for the comments, it seems like you guys like to write stories... my actual question is, when looking at your portfolio, is it now more than 1 year ago? i have to say mine is, really benefitted from the crash to get some cheap stocks.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Werner, my family is my long term portfilio. Keep them happy and you will grow with Happiness and prosperity.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
I hope Preston doesnt lapse too long in the pool - it could be detrimental to ones health. I am same off. No debt and holding at the moment.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
oops ,sorry. Should read "laps". OST does not have a spell check functionality.
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
Yea had a 100k loss last year, this year up 600k. So I would say that the crisis has been good for me and its been a very good year so far.
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
long term portfolio,evens.Dividends paid out by my company mid March,invested in total in the market over Mar/Apr,shares bought ABU,INL,MET,NED,OML,so that portfolio creaming it,due to timing it perfectly, not clever, just lucky,we get given that sometime.As for my SSF account, would make even elite traders look sick,as most of the trades were with shares similar to my medium term holdings,but also had a run with SOL & SAP.Overall been a great year.Please bring on the next crisis.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Hi Werner. Last year presented many opportunities to purchase quality companies at depressed prices (great value). Fortunately I continued to add to my positions (part of my long term purchasing program)even though there was blood in the streets, including my own. It was these purchases that ensured that I was able to show a small positve return for the year, although not a real return. This year, so far, is looking a lot more favourable.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
By sticking to my investment strategy of determining "My value" of a companies share, then being brave enough to buy into a falling market despite warnings of "catching a falling knife", I managed to significantly lower my portfolio cost - so now on a yr on yr basis, I am better off (until the reversal / crash / Black swan. Also managed to earn a 8.5% dividend yield on my portfolio over the past 12 months. So portfolio wise - all is good - health & happiness are great
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Catching a falling knife refers. It's only folly if it's indeed a knife that one is attempting to catch. The erudite investor does not attempt to purchase(catch) poor companies(knives). Instead he/she attempts to purchase quality businesses at depressed prices,ie value seeking.
0 Kudos