Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

How much lower can ACL go?

Torres
Contributor
A couple of weeks ago asked whether the share has bottomed out. I wish I heeded the advice of the forumite who indicated that it still had a way to go down! Now that the share price has fallen all the way to R25 (from R45 in just 2 months), do I still hold onto it or is it too late to dispose of it?
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
sponono
Super Contributor
In june you were short and got burnt during the bear flag and then you decided to go long and you burnt again. maybe you should leave this stock alone otherwise the burn wounds would just continue. by the way what was your plan when you went long at R45, what was you stop loss and profit take point and your justification for entering the trade in the first place?
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Sell, take some time off from trading. Always remember that you loss is actually sitting in sponono suspense account which you will get when Mr Sponono makes a mistake. lol
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Wino
Super Contributor
Their is little point in selling now. I don't like it but, it is a large company in an industry in which there are large barriers to entry. It is an important component in SA and therfore a significant future role to play. Currently trading at less than half NAV so could be a takeover target otherwise it will recover once economy starts improving probably 3-4 years. By then maybe management changes have taken place which to me is half the problem. It is not nice to see on your portfolio so just put tippex on the screen everytime you open the home page.You have my simpathy as I am sitting with a similar problem with ALT.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Torres, the chart looks ugly. The 200day moving average is downward sloping and the share itself is trading well below that. I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. Monitor it and wait to see if the strong downward trend reverses at some point into a strong updward one. Short term chart looks equally dismal.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Sell, reduce your profits for the year with the loss.If you still believe in the company, then buy it back at R25(you will probably still end up with the same number of shares). Now you paying less tax, and you you got the same number of shares at half the price and the taxman absorbs part of your loss. I dont know the company, but i would rather buy SPP or LHC at the current levels.but remember, ACL can still go to R5
0 Kudos
keng
Contributor
Rams I only wish you had posted this tax advice a year ago. I foolishly carried over a very big loss on one share which has since recovered.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
yeah, Buffet did not pay tax, and when he was wrong, he got the taxman to pay for it..but he believed his analysis, so he sold, only to buy it back cheaper and get the taxman to absorb the loss..
0 Kudos
Torres
Contributor
Thanks for all the advice guys. I got up this morning determined to get out of my ACL's, only for my trade not to be processed by OST. Had a relaxing day thereafter and pleasantly surprised by a 10% pop today! Thanks OST - your terrible technology has for once saved me from a bad decision! Probably should put in a sell order before I lose the good fortune of this morning...
0 Kudos
royzen2
Contributor
What we don't realize about rock bottom levels is that there are actually levels far lower than that. The money you could have made so far, instead of clinging on to false hope. The 2% rule. Getting knocked out is not nice, but much better than losing half your portfolio.
0 Kudos