Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Stock Picker Challenge 2009

Werner_1
Super Contributor
I created the new website - the prices of the shares will not be reflected but i will update this on the 15th (the official start to the competition) but the site is live for all the contestants to submit their selected 5 shares and their username. see the website for more details: http://www.valueinvestorsa.com/stockpicker/Default.aspx
0 Kudos
46 REPLIES 46
Not applicable
1 Q, How will a share like TKG be handled? with the expectation of a R20 divi plus a split of the vodacom shares later this year. TKG could be at R110 then pay out the divi and split the vodacom and be trading at R50. Will the stock picker challenge take into account all these factors? or just relect a 60% loss when in actual fact it could be in a profit?
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
AHHHH!!! I Love this!!!! Dont choose ***** shares!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
1 more Q, the 15th Jan is my birthday - do I get a 6th share as a bonus?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I think the best is to add Vodacom to your portfolio, e.g. you will have 6 shares after the split. if any other share gets split we will look into it to get the data on the challenge updated.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
you will get vodacom sometime - when it lists. lol
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
my reply came to the wrong place. its below... if you have any other suggestion, let me know, these small updates will be manual and we can discuss it when they arise.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
have you thought about splitting it into rand values ie start with R10k woth of each share and that way could have a 6th entry in which all divis etc go and get added to your total and that way you can keep track of all divis/distribution paid to you during the year?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
That is one way, currently i have the distributions built into the growth calculation, it doesnt show it yet, but i can add dividends into the database and it will reflect the total growth on the selected share. but i will think about building something to indicate the dividend payouts.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
It will be interesting to see how many of last year's contestants are going to chicken out this year after that bad performance we experienced... lets see...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Only just found out about this now, looks very exciting. I'm in!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
let evolve it a little lets allow for chamgs on a monthly basis.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
I must have come close to bottom last year - I'll try again. Maybe you all can use me as a benchmark of "what not to do"....LOL
0 Kudos
Not applicable
After winning the "short" competition last year (unintentionally!!)I can only improve this year. Thanks for the effort you have put into this Werner, I'm sure we all appreciate it...Jimmo
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I think it is a bit difficult with the current site to make a monthly alterations. but maybe we can do something along these lines a bit later? I am thinking that if anyone is interested in helping me, maybe we can organise some sponsors, they can advertise on the site, and maybe sponsor some kind of price for the top 3 places at the end of the year. let me know if there are any suggestions? i thought something like a montblanc pen would be cool (i am a huge fan) but this requires about R4-5k...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
speak to simon we all contribute enough every month for sbk to sponsor a pen for R5k
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I believe that the forumnites have greatly contributed to the success of SBK OST...so definitively SIMON SHOULD SPONSER THE PRIZE
0 Kudos
Not applicable
sorry...spelling error[the word is DEFINITELY]
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
Hi Werner, Im a full time .NET developer and although I never touch frontends unless the sky is falling Im quite happy to help out if you need a hand. If you want please email me on [email protected]
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I will remember if i need the help, thanks....
0 Kudos