Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Who holding what ?

Mr_Money
Regular Contributor
Hi guys, I am a long term investor and would like to add to my portfolio? Any Recommendations out there? I hold the following for long term? NPN SOL MTN VOD Exx JSE CPI PSG VOX MET GBG MMH MRF I was thinking about PET/Cipla and junoiur platimum play?
0 Kudos
28 REPLIES 28
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Most of my favourate shares are very highly valued at the moment, aftr last years gain I find it hard, i actually havent bought a share in SA this year yet... I like SBK, RMH though, they slightly over the level my model says "Buy" but look at them over time i think they will do very well. I love APN - but this ones really high now...
0 Kudos
Mr_Money
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Also struggling to find value in SA shares at the moment, although you might want to look at BTI. Currently trading at a modest 12 times PE with at least a 5% dividend and no debt. And best of all, the pound is pretty weak at the moment - which gives you added currency value as well - since BTI reports in pounds.
0 Kudos
Wino
Super Contributor
In a similar vein with the low euro, look at SHF. Current PE at 7.7. Majority income is from Europe and it is expanding its footprint.
0 Kudos
DR_1
Super Contributor
for the number of shares you holding, i guess that you are holding a sizeable portion of say R1m per share. any less and one should rather buy the index
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
depends on your investment goals. if you want to achieve a return better than that of the index you can't be buying the index.
0 Kudos
DR_1
Super Contributor
how many people beat the index ??
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Werner and Skaap - have you had a look at PGL for the long term at all? I hold a tiny amount and am looking to add - I think. BTI has dropped a bit and I bought a small amount at about 23500. I may look to buy a bit more soon. I am also keeping an eye on Sasol at the moment.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I havent looked at PGL but will do so shortly and let you know my views.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
I like Brian Gilbertson, and I wanted some exposure to Platinum - i guess that's why I got in.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
AFAIK the market has beaten most pro's in the last year. According to Ken Fisher you want to match the market in general, and have a few exceptions to juice your return. But you'd better be quite sure about those exceptions - inclusions or exclusions. The concept is called "benchmark risk" - where you underperform the benchmark.
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
the concept's called beta (earning the market) or earning alpha (anything above the market). nowhere do i state it's easy to earn alpha, all i said was depending on your investment goals (this varies very much from person to person...) you won't beat the market by investing straight in an index. don't you guys want to try beat the market? if you've resigned yourselves to the fact that very few beat the market then rather just put on a monthly stop order to auto invest in stx40 and call it a day.
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
MTN - undoubtedly.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ja, I bought PGL recently at 460, and am about 4% down - but at least 2% of that is in the spread, so it is holding up OK for now. I will probably boost my holdings on any further drop. My acquisitions for 2010 are BTI, GND, REDEFINE, BSR, PGL and SNU. Only SNU is proving to be my problem stock, it doesn't quite fit my low debt, cash positive stock strategy. I bought it on the view that its Kroonfontein sale will wipe out a healthy chunk of debt and bring it back up to the dividends it used to pay. Although I have to say that I bought PGL more on a whim than a clear understanding of its fundamentals
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
If you want a long term value play buy Serdel...its trading at 30c and its property portfolio is about 5 times that alone..its one of the largets employers and its losing money.. so it only a matter of time before they shut up for good and turn toward the properties for re-development etc..oh and the old man died recently so there is bound to be a few changes.
0 Kudos
DR_1
Super Contributor
holding for10 years a good stock, generally makes better returns than day trading..
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Beta is not 'the market', it's a measure of a stock's volatility relative to the market.

I gave you a viewpoint of a billionaire who beats the index much more than most. You can beat the index while including most of the index components. When you differ, you take on benchmark risk in the belief that you will improve your returns. That's all.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
to beat the index all you have to do is discard the lagards.. if you imagine the top 40 as kids in the play ground.. to win the game just make sure you dont have the fat boy and the retard on your team...same with trading if you simply are holding the the top 30 best performers you will beat the index every single year.. no risk
0 Kudos
AJT
Super Contributor
Mr Money, I would also consider adding JSE to your portfolio - little expensive right now, but solid company with great managment and they hold a monopoly in the market...
0 Kudos