Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

hmmm

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ZAR 8.33 .. gold1536 .. brent 111 ..
0 Kudos
38 REPLIES 38
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Looking all too familiar. Bad memories.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
As long as the ZAR price per ounce of Gold remains stable, I'll stomach the volatility in Gold shares any day. Was wondering why the over recovery of 45c per litre of petrol can't be used to fund a portion of the Toll fiasco. I mean 45c per litre is a serious over recovery worth billions over a few weeks. They could make a huge problem go away pretty easily.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yip gold/zar flat .. but isn;t crisis supposed to feed/protect the gold bugs ??
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
dude, I think it is illegal to suggest gold that low ??
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Crisis, what Crisis?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Got Mdluli on my side...I untouchable!
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
There is obviously a huge flight from gold to dollars via bonds, but that is slowly also coming under scrutiny as Cees Bruggemans rightly pointed out. US treasury yields are not sustainable, so in this case I'd gladly accept the drop in the $/Gold price. You could do a lot worse than buying beaten down blue chip gold shares right now with a solid stop loss. This point of view doesn't even qualify as a contrarian view, as its shared by many, many people.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sure you could do a lot worse .. but surely the question is if you could do a lot better ??
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Too many - who wanted immediate gratification - that is the reason for the selloff - and the anti-safehaven performance. The casuals are in a panic. As always - you have to stay the course.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Only time will tell.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
So when does the contrarian enter into an Anglo or a BHP or liketype long term buy, do we wait for PEs of 5 or 3
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Question also remains - how sustainable is a stronger dollar. The rate of appreciation is in my opinion is simply not sustainable for very long and the US can hardly afford a stronger currency with limited exports and massive imports. This will do the shortfall on their trading balance no favours.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Strong dollar will be in force until the alternatives e.g. Euro are a safer place to be. So: a while.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
PE's on blue chips of 3 and 5 is not a realistic expectation, even for contrarian investors. Simply put, one lifetime is too short to wait for that kinda PEÂ’s on quality blue chips
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
When nobody here will tell you it's a smart thing to do :) So basically, it's a question you only want answered inversely to your trade direction.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
...but the rate of appreciation we saw in the last two weeks is not sustainable. That is the point.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I like BIL in the 220's and am adding ..
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Both BHP and Anglo on PEs of 7 odd, and both have been lower. Although do we call Anglo a blue chip at the moment. I may look to buy a few if it drops a bit lower - will wait and watch for the moment. Set a signal and then buy. If i miss then no worries.
0 Kudos