Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

ouch ..

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Significantly reduced coal prices and difficult operational conditions have resulted in the board of SACMH resolving to cease operations of the company with immediate effect for a period of three months and to place the operations on care and maintenance. During this period, the board will review the operations, including the capital requirements and cost structure, with a view to deciding on the future direction of the business. Shareholders will be kept informed of developments and should accordingly exercise caution when trading in the company's securities until a further announcement is made. Mirkwood
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
barry_1
Super Contributor
Thanks Simon,the econony has taken a dire turn and it seems as if we are going to struggle for a longer period of time.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya barry .. what I don't get .. coal is off highs from mid 2008, but isn't it still up on the 2007 prices ??
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
some naive thoughts: amazing that almost everything world wide arrived at the same detrimental situation almost simultaneously - bankruptcy and depression. Can it actually be that the U S of A housing loan situation was the ONLY important event to bring the world's house of cards down?
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
This is probably more a case of weak operational management, poor strategy and pathetic execution...opportunistically raised R100m a couple of months ago on what basis? So, the coal price tanks from giddy levels and the operation is shut down? What about the Eskom contracts? No sensitivity analysis at different prices etc.? Wait for the dirt to be revealed...in time. At least the Royal Ba*****eng have enough dough to lose some more?
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
B-a-f-o-k-e-n-g!!
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
I'm somewhat surprised at this radical action by SACMH.I understood their coal contracts with ESKOM had favourable long term pricing locked in -- apparently not.Barry you're the coal Guru,how will this impact on the likes of CZA,WSL and others? Just how bad is the coal price at present ?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I am sorry - I can't resist! B-a-f-o-k-e-n-g worthy of a net-nanny censorship!! Excellent - I wonder what this esteemed tribe will think of that one!
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
As Topgun pointed out,poor management and planning,as Simon rightly pointed out the price is off its lows....A good operation with the right backing should thrive....with winter approaching,good contracts and a tight reign on costs most well run coal companies should comfortably carry on.
0 Kudos
ws
Frequent Contributor
If coal has come down so much (some say 60%) and the government has given Eskom some R60bil for new powerstations,then why are they looking for another 34% increase?!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
coal was at about $190/ton, now about 50 .. but eskom still sells electricity below cost, this is legacy from the old days ..
0 Kudos
Vano
Regular Contributor
Skaaptjop, no use complaining, I have been lobbying to get Tom and Harry's friend D*** unbanned, to no avail.
0 Kudos
Red_Eye
New Contributor
Hi Guys, Thanks for the info. What to do with the shares though????
0 Kudos
Red_Eye
New Contributor
Hi Guys, Thanks for the info. What to do with the shares though????
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
South African Coal Mining Holdings (SACMH) had embarked on a cost-reduction exercise, the coal mining company said on Thursday. It was also exploring the recapitalisation of the business and finding a technology partner to assist with cost reductions. This comes after it said last month that following reduced coal prices and difficult operating conditions, the board would review group operations and capital requirements. This was with a view to determining the firm's direction. - Mzwandile Jacks
0 Kudos
inx
Occasional Contributor
any contacts for the company, getting in touch with the secretary is a nightmare
0 Kudos