Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

prime heading below 10

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
next Thur when the giv speaks ?? first time since 1979 ??
http://ow.ly/2wKmq
0 Kudos
27 REPLIES 27
Not applicable
And to think I bought my first car at 21% interest rate - and I aint that old!
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
I can remember rates of 32%.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
OK, that is not in my lifetime i don't think - how far back are we going here?
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
1980's.It was a time when limitations and disclosure of fin. charges act (Ladofca) excluded all transactions above R100.000 from rate control.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Yep, signaling a weak economy...and months behind the curve as usual. Would also address the excessive carry-trade and Rand overvaluation. How much job destruction and self-inflicted misery does it take? But SA of course fixated on the SWC and didn't contemplate life beyond hence the construction hiatus and growing employment crisis.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the carry-trade is a smoke screen ..
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
Either way the little Rant,could slide from here.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sure, but that requires more rand sellers then buyers .. what's going to cause that to happen ??
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
so who are you expecting to change ??? investors or the ANC ??
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
Foreign investors will be closely watching the ANC's moves just recently - mining rights grab, moves to muzzle the press,talk of nationalisation and looking at another Zim. scenario.The ANC is doing a fine job of destroying investor confidence.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
with respect .. people been singing this song when zuma was in court .. polokwana .. etc .. yet investors continue to ut money into SA .. essentially you're betting on the final straw that'll break the camels back ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
That would be when comrade Malema takes office. Well at least it would be for me.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sure .. but my point is how many said that for when Zuma becames prsident it's all over, they'll leave etc .. yet nothing happened ??
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
with equal respect Simon , the foreign money here is mostly in stocks,bonds and the carry trade - it's not of a long term permanent investor nature - it could all leave as quickly as it came. How many big long term investments has this country seen from big corporates in the mining or manufacturing sector over the past year ? That is where we need investment for the creation of jobs. Foreigners are merely parking their money here while the returns are better - they aint investing !
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
agreed - hot money no FDI, we saw that in in 2007 when markets crashed and money fled out of SA and the rand weakened markedly .. that's my point, financial things changed and the rand responded .. what political thing is goign to changeg to that degree ???
0 Kudos
Mr_Money
Regular Contributor
How can I as a South African take out a loan in the US or Japan at interest rates of less than 2% than "park" that money here in South Africa at 5% ? How can I do this
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
A desperate ANC trying to cling onto power with vote buying promises.
0 Kudos