Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Consumer market shares

DocG
New Contributor

I currently hold shares in Brait, Shoprite and Woolies - all have exposure to the SA consumer sector and I want to scale down on that. Which should I let go? Any thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3
SimonPB
Valued Contributor

I hold SHP and WHL. SHP I happy with, they low LSM market and tough times helps them as will returning rains which will help with pricing power.

WHL is going to find it tough locally and even the OZ economy is struggling. I have a bunch here but am holding as that's my strategy for my 'til death do us art' portfolio. I only sell if there is a significant fundamental change to the business and tough economic times does not equal that.

BAT - it's all about the UK consumer but me thinks the price is probably about right for buying.

partridge1
Regular Contributor

When does quality become expensive  and when does quality remain quality?

I think WHL is in a key business period - and if its OZ stuff  does not get better and its local clothing remains in no- ones land - then I don't know.... so while the research reports indicate

a flat 2018 - if there is general negative stuff out of Oz then I see it in a crisis - and if that continues with a flat SA  - then its big trouble,  BUT that is too early to call.

If they get OZ food right - which is the one thing they can be relied on to do well then that could be  a basis for the future.. one has to first wait to see what emerges on that front. 

partridge1
Regular Contributor
And having just seen the report today with the revised TP of 64bucks - revised down for 81bucks - so looks like a non buy at anything above 58bucks?