Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

WHAT SHOULD THEY BE PAID?

partridge1
Regular Contributor

Johann Rupert seems to have asked the right question  - with a little swipe at the fund managers - but ignoring the glasshouse of REI and its management charges- precarious stuff this? I also liked the

(at last) candid admission about poor advice regarding MEI!  

.. SO the question is on what basis should management be rewarded - unlike Naspers for doing more than breathing regarding tencent.

Realistically the horizon for reward might not extend beyond three years - would you reward SASOL managment for the US plant delivery....Something tells me you wonldn't - can't remember how long that has been on the go...

3 REPLIES 3
SimonPB
Valued Contributor

How about a modest base and then portion of actual profits (small slice) with some held back to be paid over next 3 years?

It a great Q, everybody moans about management being paid too much, but nobody really has a better answer ?

partridge1
Regular Contributor

I like the three legged pot you have placed this on.  The bigger the reward for short term linked perforamnce the greater the chance tha "JOHN" who is coming o the end of his working career will place all his efforts

on the short term... cos he won't be there in four years....

wino1
Occasional Contributor

Voting at AGM's I almost always vote against motions to approve remuneration policies and directors remuneration but, my little voice is lost in a huge wilderness. Almost always these motions are carried in excess of 99%. Why arent the big shareholders qurying these issues? How can a director hold 6 or 7 seats in various companies and still have the time to provide sufficient informed input/query/investigate etc. Witness SNH, where were the directors? So much for a high quality well paid board?