Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

MyShares - Tip for Trading

Bchip
Frequent Contributor
An old joke goes, a computer does some tests on a flea.
It tells the flea "jump" and the flea jumps 25cm.
The computer ...

http://myshares.co.za/wp/2016/08/15/755/
16 REPLIES 16
Not applicable
A good article and a valid point. I have done that exercise before, and my conclusion was that that wasn't enough information. It isn't the news that matters, its the interpretation of the news that skews markets. What you need is some sort of gauge of media interpretation of market sentiment. A 'positivity index' if such a thing can be constructed. Boils down to the old story of Charles Dow believing the time to get out of a stock was when his shoeshine boy was giving him stock tips.
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an I fly on Thursday, always get my shoes shined at airport .. will report back ..
suki
Super Contributor
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
suki
Super Contributor
THE TRADERS EXPO LAS VEGAS CAESARS PALACE NOVEMBER 16–18, 2016 :)
Bchip
Frequent Contributor
The new science on what you describe is polling
on social media. The most accurate poll on the Brexit
was the twitter poll that said theres a 66% chance of it happening.

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
twitter polling not that simple, their an ingrained bias on twitter which is not generally reflected in the broader society .. so sure sometimes they'll get it right, but it not the best of pilling
koos2
Super Contributor
At any given moment, public opinion is a chaos of superstition, misinformation, and prejudice
Russ
Super Contributor
He he, the joke's on the computer-fleas actually have 6 legs.
Bchip
Frequent Contributor
...twitter polling doesnt actually refer to asking people on Twitter.
It refers to reading the messages and then dividing it into positive or negative sentiment.
Bchip
Frequent Contributor
Bchip
Frequent Contributor
this is done through data analytics and using algorithms to determine sentiment. You can poll a million messages in a few minutes.

This was done on the Brexit before it happened.
Sentiment stated 66% chance UK wanted to leave.
Its on of only a handful of indicators that I found were quite accurate on the prediction.
koos2
Super Contributor
It's that same mm that took them knuckles to your eye And I try, to warn you not to test but you don't listen Giving the shout out to my Uncle Donnel locked up in prison
koos2
Super Contributor
Now throw your hands in the air And wave 'em like you just don't care
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yip, but I still not convinced .. it'll likely get Hillary / Trump right as well .. but does it really work or are these two lucky strikes ?
Bchip
Frequent Contributor
there are studies on it on stock market training. Some swear by it.
But the arguement is really void (whether to look at it or not), as with any indicator or survey in the world there is no 100%

This does seem to have some better predictive power.
Hedge funds dont just link it to Twitter though, its through all social media - facebook, twitter, forums, etc.