Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Rand hedges

Russ
Super Contributor
look good to me, yet still down today. I feel this might be the time to start accumulating, especially for the medium to long term. It will depend on the rand weakening, of course, but that looks quite likely.
8 REPLIES 8
Russ
Super Contributor
I think sol is looking good too.
Russ
Super Contributor
I would include anh among those.
barry_1
Super Contributor
I am uncertain about SOL as traders always only look at the pretroleum side and not it's great chemical assets at this stage. Can not see the price of crude going too high in the next couple of years as more fracking will come on line as the price climbs. I agree with you that the right time to be buying overseas shares. At the moment i am adding to my Reinet and looking at shares with American components such as Astoria,not yet bought any.
Russ
Super Contributor
Also like rei and bti.
Russ
Super Contributor
Barry,I like the chart of sol and also sboil (which gives an idea of the rand oil price). But I saw this after I had posted:"Crude oil rising: Oil futures are trading higher on Monday as OPEC members attempt to build consensus for a production cut ahead of a meeting in Nov. 30 in Vienna" which also supports my view.
Russ
Super Contributor
In theory, if Moody's downgrades us today, rand weakens, rand hedge shares go up? I just feel the rand hedges are primed for a trigger to set them off.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
The US market was supposed to get a smack if Trump won. Gold would soar, they thought. Hmm... Better to wait and see how the market reacts - or just dive in and buy the hedges since the ZAR's fundamentals look pretty filthy in the long run.
Russ
Super Contributor
Yes, the market's not rational.