Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

and there goes another of my accounts

orange68
Super Contributor
Third time blowing it up(alsi only for those wondering) and yes stupid mistakes. Not my main strategy thats in profit, but lessons to be learnt from trying a new strategy and not following rules. fortunately its only 3 alsi and money i set aside for "testing". but hey the social media traders said trading is easy! (of course it is when u hide the losses)
9 REPLIES 9
Bchip
Frequent Contributor
Alsi is one of the hardest instruments to trade in the world. That's not only my experience but also much better traders than myself. It also needs massive capital to survive it. Rather try more liquid markets. Dax is very similar to the alsi but much more liquid and the s&p is also lovely. If I can give 1 tip, leave the alsi and focus on other markets. Good luck
Rams
Super Contributor
My problem with the ALSI for intraday trading is that nothing much happens after LYSE opens and before NYSE opens. There are times when the stop losses dont work and thats the biggest risk if you not glued to the chart. But still more liquid that other insruments on JSE for intraday trading.
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
To me the Alsi is like a "get rich quick" scheme, in which if you invest you'll more than likely lose your shirt, besides you must be glued to the screen, so not for part time traders. I find CFDs far more rewarding financially and far less stressful
orange68
Super Contributor
I am intraday alsi on my main strategy and thats worked for few years now.i decided to try something new and not follow the rules of that strategy. alsi has some really really rewarding days that has been in my favor. whilst i am intraday with my main strategy i do not trade everyday, i actually analyze my alsi on 4h charts which helps me stay out most days
mullet_fish
Regular Contributor
CFD trading is "good" but unless you can get quite a big move (10%), by the time all costs are included there is very little profit for all the effort and risk. A nuisance (which is scary initially) is the SMS request for more funds (top up) when the price tuns even slightly (against the bank I would assume?) but there is still quite a bit of margin in the account. I don't think the bank manages this too well and probably scares off Mr Average.
Rovert
Super Contributor
I think you need some big balls to trade CFDS. Having paid the school fees with warrants years ago I love CFDS. Just manage your stops and stick to them. I'm a greedy ***** but very often turn 200-300% on 6/10 trades so interest and fees don't even matter. Study the market and sectors you trade and know what causes the swings. That makes things more predictable and increases your odds . Just my opinion
mullet_fish
Regular Contributor
Rovert - you need to please start sharing some tips ! Thanks
suki
Super Contributor
orange68
Super Contributor
well its the same with forex pairs or any other instrument, do your homework pick the sectors/pairs that perform well pick the star in that sector/pair and hop on its easier said than done yes but for every few losses come far greater wins. and it all boils down to analysis and strategy ...have a look on ost homepage their webinars for riette she explains this in great detail. this is where i first started my alsi days few years ago from her live seminars.