Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Russ
Super Contributor
Guys, I like the look of tkg. It has been squeezed into the apex of a symmetrical triangle and in the next day or two it is going to break out one way or the other. My bet is up but if you disagree I welcome your opinion.I don't hold it yet but might get in tomorrow.
12 REPLIES 12
Not applicable
seems to be behaving like the large majority of SA stocks - in a tight holding pattern. With these low liquidity environments, the selloff is likely to be a big move. But the breakout in any direction is statistically likely to be fake. So my strategy is buy on a big 4 or 5% downward move - providing there are no trading updates or anything, that is. I am applying the same logic to other stocks too - patiently waiting my entry
Russ
Super Contributor
Thanks for that.
richardw
Super Contributor
What other stocks are you keeping an eye on?
richardw
Super Contributor
I sadly don't have much to offer from my side. I do have a set of alerts set up in case there's a big drop in various stocks, some of which I hold and some I don't. One rule of thumb is "try to get blue-chips when the market is temporarily out of love with them". Picked up Anglo with that earlier this year. Smaller companies it's worked with: Grindrod, M&R, Pinnacle, Lonmin. Great capital return so far this year, but holding them for dividends.

Obviously the trick is to correctly identify "temporarily", but since I'm after future divs I don't really care about the price once I've bought them (except for ego), as long as the divs remain likely.
Preston
Super Contributor
Russ, definitely an upside break.
Russ
Super Contributor
Yes, so far so good. I bought earlier at 6484 and then a few more at 6495. Now we wait and see.
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
AGL a blue chip ?!
Not applicable
add Pinnacle, Lonmin and M&R to the blue chip question -:)
Preston
Super Contributor
Russ,so far so good :-)
Rams
Super Contributor
Russ, where would you place your stop?
richardw
Super Contributor
Those weren't blue chips, "smaller companies" and I got them at a nice discount :) Yeah, Anglo I'm happy calling a blue chip despite the fact that they nearly drove into a ditch this year.
Russ
Super Contributor
Rams,when I bought my plan was to exit if it fell below the low of 19 July of 63.61. I chose this because this is also just below the support line of the symmetrical triangle.I think I will keep that rising support line as my stop so my stop will also be rising slightly each day. However I am hoping that the resistance line of the symm triangle will now act as support so the price won't fall back below the breakout point (which is at about 65.20 at present, and falling slightly each day). Since the support line and the prior resistance line are very close to crossing(as the breakout occurred at the apex)the support line will soon be higher than the prior resistance line so that level will be irrelevant-I will just use the rising support line as my stop level. I hope this makes sense.