Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Impala
Occasional Contributor
Good Day All Thank you very much on the infomation on NIL PAID LETTERS. Prancing Horse you seem to be quite up to CFD's can you explain a little more becaus an academic digestion is a bit difficult for me and i think it will be easier coming from you.You know layman's language.
6 REPLIES 6
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
CFDs like a packet of smokes, comes with serious health warnings. Before you attempt trading them you must attend a course, then be prepared to lose money when you start, if beginner's luck is with you to start , you will get a big smack down the line as you will fall into the trap that this is money for jam. In a nutshell , if you buy a share say trading at R100 & you buy 1000 of them , you will have to have R15000 as a margin, if the margin required is 15% as your exposure is now R100000. You will pay the (SABOR ),S A Benchmark Overnight Rate plus 2% on the full value of R100000. Your cost of purchase and sale is also based on the total value and this varies from house to house some .2 others maybe .4% on the full exposure. If the share moves to R95 they will knock on your door for an additional R5000 margin, if it goes to R105 your up R5000. Looks simple , but remember the costs creep up on you. You have been warned.
Impala
Occasional Contributor
Thanks,will keep in contact.
Galuc
Super Contributor
Now prancing horse has such a sweet way with words! And probably all true
Trader_Lance
New Contributor

Been trading CFD's for about a year and a half now.

My advice: - Attend a seminar/webinar and read-up for at least 3 months before getting started

StuS
Contributor
You can also check out the article I have written on the basics of CFDs, of more importance is the link to the video recording of our CFD presentation near the bottom.

https://community.standardbank.co.za/t5/Products/What-is-a-CFD/ta-p/7122