Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
just suspended ALL operations at Rustenburg ..
0 Kudos
33 REPLIES 33
kwagga
Super Contributor
Bring some of that platinum EFT's over here....
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
I mean ETN...
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
while the "struggle heroes" (read ANC MP's) are too ***** scared to meet their brothers to hear their grievances firsthand...leaving to field open for juju... http://www.bdlive.co.za/national/labour/2012/09/12/anc-mps-fear-for-safety-refuse-to-meet-marikana-w...
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
- And not a word from the president or a cabinet member, as these highly dangerous and damaging events are unfolding. Zuma's total lack of leadership quality, are no longer in doubt. The political vacuum manisfesting itself is highly toxic and explosive
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
teetering is a big word me thinks ..
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Agreed Simon. Storm in a soup cup. This is nothing more that an opportunistic attempt by mine workers to go strike to milk the situation.
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
IMO the mines should come to the table and pay these workes a decent wage. The construction industry has done that three yrs ago and does not look back on the move. To pay a decent wage will pave the way to labour "rest" and will pull the carpet under juju and his chronies' ass.
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
- Well let's take a snapshot of the situation and add the following issues to this current labour unrest; - Collapsing infrastructures - roads, water /sanitation/power supplies. - Dysfunctional govt. departments - education, health services,police -
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Sounds like every EU country and US you talking about :)
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
You're immigrating right. It's kinda normal to convince yourself that you've made the right decision. SA is all that you mentioned, and I'm still leading a good life. I live in a secure estate, I can't remember the last time I didn't have electricity, I still drink tap water, telecommute from home – telecoms in SA works, I eat good fresh affordable food every day and have all my friends and family close by. SA still works for me, although I try not to get emotional over too many issues. If I had to move first option would be Western Cape, second Namibia and third Botswana. No first world nanny state in a massive build up area for me thanks.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
I think you'll find that the wages they're actually being paid aren't as bad as what you've heard. Also, if the mines cave, believe me - Malema will milk it as if he personally made it happen. "ANC fails, Malema succeeds" will be his motto.

Did you see him on US business news? They're loving the hysteria provided by a wannabe-dictator shouting the odds about mining and the SA economy.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Well, striker at least you have a front row seat at the revolution unfolding in front of your eyes…aided as you pointed out by corruption, incapacity and maladministration…SA has passed its tipping point some time ago and these flare-ups and delivery issues, fuelled by unsustainable demographics will become a permanent feature of life…btw I see that the state has denied that a “high alert” has been issued - that makes sense because you must have some military capacity in the first place…moreover some of us apparently adjust better to the rising water temperature…until it starts boiling...enjoy the spectacle!
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Extract from article in the Guardian: Link http://gu.com/p/38nnf/em In such uneasy times, who better to read than the greatest catastrophist theoriser of human history, Karl Marx? And yet the renaissance of interest in Marxism has been pigeonholed as an apologia for Stalinist totalitarianism. In a recent blog on "the new communism" for the journal World Affairs, Alan Johnson, professor of democratic theory and practice at Edge Hill University in Lancashire, wrote: "A worldview recently the source of immense suffering and misery, and responsible for more deaths than fascism and Nazism, is mounting a comeback; a new form of leftwing totalitarianism that enjoys intellectual celebrity but aspires to political power. "The New Communism matters not because of its intellectual merits but because it may yet influence layers of young Europeans in the context of an exhausted social democracy, austerity and a self-loathing intellectual culture," wrote Johnson. "Tempting as it is, we can't afford to just shake our heads and pass on by."
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
- Already emigrated and living in a delightful rural/country area. If by " nanny state" you mean the enforcement of law, order ,and the maintenance of living standards and upholding of values ,then so be it. I'll never regret the wonderful years (fr
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
- Sure , in some ways you're right - the big difference is the elected people you have in government ,identifying,understanding and fixing the problems . The Anc just does'nt cut it.
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
- Ja topgun, the decision was a tough one. It simply came down to one thing; Give my children a first world future, or one in a continent of failing govt's and falling standards. They will have the option to return in the future, if they so wish - but
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
Striker, at least you have something to compare life in South Africa with. These are tough and sometimes brave decisions, but the world is so "small" to-day that you can actually choose where you want to be with family and friends to-morrow - even when living overseas. (that is if you can afford it) Your children might appreciate it one day - who knows, and nothing would prevent them from going back to Africa. Just sad what is happening and yes it is sometimes not that difficult to hear and see no evil while living in RSA (that is if you can afford it!!!) I wish you well.
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
3JN2
Frequent Contributor
Amplats workers now want R16000.
0 Kudos