Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Share Quantity Reduced

Osborne
New Contributor
Hi, I bought about 200 Lonmin shares. Today when I was checking my portfolios, I noticed that the Lonmin share price went up from R0.16 to R 13.00 however my shares were reduced from 200 to 1 share. Can you please help to understand as what would have happen. Thank you for your time Osborne Magada
8 REPLIES 8
Not applicable
its called a share consolidation/reverse share split. Companies do this to get their share price to a higher price. It will have no affect for you though.
Osborne
New Contributor
Not applicable
Hi I also have the same situation...bought 322 shares at 560c early November...Now I have 3 shares!!!! :( Im new to share trading and utterly confused
TAKR
Contributor
There is a lesson in there somewhere............don't buy shares in LON...ever.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
You guys are buying insanely small positions - the transaction costs must be ruinous!
Not applicable
@TAKR you have given the best advice possible
conradl
Contributor
Why don't people actually answer the questions... They did a share consolidation as was announced in the SENS a few weeks back. Looks like a 100:1 consolidation, ie for every 100 shares you owned, you would have received 1 new LON share. http://www.moneyweb.co.za/mny_sens/lonmin-plc-consolidation-of-lonmin-ordinary-shares/ Also, as one of the other guys said, what are you doing buying such small lots, at R70 per trade you are killing yourself in fees! @YoungMoney, you need to decide whether you want to trade or invest, but I would start with investing as a introduction to the markets and how they work.
alias
Occasional Contributor
I had the same problem