Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Tax Free Account Vs Normal Account

Solved
Zebra777
Occasional Contributor

Hi everybody.  I'm still new to investing.  I don’t have R33k pa to invest at the moment so I can’t exceed my cap.  I started off by investing in the normal trading account and only recently became aware of the tax free account.  Is there any sense in still buying shares in the normal account?  Should I put all my money in the tax free account and buy there until I reach R500K?  Or should I split my long term "safe" investments into the tax free account and put all of my "risk" investments into the normal account?     

Go to the solution >
7 REPLIES 7
partridge1
Regular Contributor

I suggest you get obtain clarify in your own mind as to what a TFIA actually give you access to : the TFIA does not permit you to invest in "any share "only approved instruments = see the drop down under my portfolio.

These are a group of  tax free EFT's.

Zebra777
Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much.  I am reading the beginners guide on Platinumwealth.co.za and they suggest:

Taking all of the above into account whilst keeping the South African economic landscape in mind, we suggest the following ETF allocation:
50% goes into the Offshore DbxWD 35% goes into the Newfunds Momentum ETF 15% goes into the Global Property Fund GLPROP

I cant find DbxWD on the TFIA section.  Please could you advise where to find it?

What reading would you reccomend allowing me to educate myself?

Regards 

Jan 

Blik2
Contributor

The four or five previous Deutsche Bank administered ETFs were "taken" over by Magda's Sygnia.  So the DBXWD is now the SYGWD - check out the Sygnia ETFs.

Blik2
Contributor

Also check out Simon's TFSA podcasts and write-ups on Just One Lap. 

https://justonelap.com/cash-club-tfsas-and-saving-for-your-child/

Above as example

partridge1
Solution
Regular Contributor

The Long and the short of it -finance and investment for normally intelligent people who are not in the industry: JOHN KAY: Erasmus Press.

Selecting shares that perform Prenctice Hall FT ..

Obviously there are the classics.. but these are good.   

Zebra777
Occasional Contributor

Busy with John Kay will get the other one.  Thank you !

Mkhululi
New Contributor

was in a exactly the same situation. i ended up closing my share trading account. now as long as i have not exhausted the R33k investment limit and the income interest limit of R23 800, then I see no need of an investment account which charges fees.....