Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community blog

Read our latest news and views and get to know us better

Abedi Pele Ayew in Zambia
Standard Bank Team
Super Contributor

If there was a movie made about the second leg of my Orange Africa Cup of Nations Standard Bank Trophy Tour of Zambia that took our entourage to the rural town of Mazabuka, it would certainly be titled A Street Called Abedi.

Day-two of the Orange Africa Cup of Nations Standard Bank Trophy Tour took us on one-hour drive to Mazabuka just south of Lusaka. Not only was it a worthwhile trip, but it left me emotionally moved.

The civic authorities dedicated a main street in one of the townships after me! I believe it is the first time a living football player, and a foreign one for that matter, has been honored with a street name in Zambia!

The announcement came after the Mazabuka Town Council also bestowed upon me with the free man of the city. I will forever cherish the moment for the rest of my life and will like to thank the people of Mazabuka for the warm welcome and gesture accorded to me and my entourage.

Meanwhile, the Standard Bank Trophy Tour was an even bigger success.

The occasion got a serious boost thanks to the presence of two local chiefs and senior government officials from the district including the local area member of parliament. Each took turns for a photo opportunity with the most coveted prize in African Football.

But most of all, I would like to dedicate the Trophy Tour to the people of Mazabuka, who took time off from their business on Tuesday afternoon for a once-in-a-life-time opportunity to get a closer look of the Africa Cup Trophy.

It was also only befitting that the Africa Cup Trophy made its way to what we call footballs grassroots.

Who knows, and one hopes that one day, a youngster in the midst of the Mazabuka crowd on that day will lift the Africa Cup Trophy as captain Chipolopolo Zambia in a future final and remember this moment.

Abedi Pele