Community

Share knowledge. Find answers. Ask questions.

Community blog

Read our latest news and views and get to know us better

#AllFromOne
Community Coordinator
Read more blogs in

Africa has long been regarded as the ‘cradle of mankind’, the region where life originated before spreading across the continent and the globe. The Palaeontological Scientific Trust (PAST)  is a Johannesburg-based NGO that since 1994 has promoted research, education and public awareness of Africa’s rich fossil heritage and its status as the birthplace of humankind.  PAST seeks to:

• Establish African leadership in the sciences related to our origins
  • Inspire scientific curiosity among school-going children
  • Promote social cohesion and environmental conservation; and

• Build African pride and identity.

We became a founding partner of PAST 18 years ago and have since been recognized as the Trust’s principal corporate sponsor.  This partnership is entering a new phase with the launch of the ‘All From One’ campaign.

The PAST 'All From One’ campaign draws on scientific evidence about our shared human origins and the shared origins of all life forms, to challenge commonly held ideas about humankind and our place in nature.  

The ‘All from One’ includes an exhibition which begins its global tour at Standard Bank’s Rosebank offices in South Africa from 11 November until 31 January 2016. We invite you to commit to the campaign's ideals by visiting the campaign website www.past.org.za or join the conversation on all social media platforms using #AllFromOne. 

If you are in the area, please visit the exhibition outside our offices in Rosebank, South Africa from 11 November 2015 to 31 January 2016 – take a selfie and be part of the story.  

For more information about our sponsorship of PAST visit (link to site. Site link not yet live) or to read more about PAST visit www.past.org.za.

past.JPG

Read more blogs in
1 Comment
FIONA PELMAN
Not applicable

Good Day:

I am writing to you as the Founder of a NPO in the Secunda Mpumalanga area, called Secunda Gratis en Verniet.

We serve an area of approximately 8000 people of whom more than 50% are less-fortunate. We cross the gender and race border with no limit, where there is a need we assist.

We have a list of 39 kids from extremely poor backgrounds, for who we also cater for school stationery and birthday gifts as well as Christmas Gifts.

We were also featured in our Local News Paper, the Ridge Times a few times for the different initiatives that we are trying to achieve:

https://ridgetimes.co.za/132547/secunda-gratis-verniet-wants-deliver-food-needy/?fbclid=IwAR0sCl9a_L...

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2F2Q1dmMe%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR3jovvOEQXY4OkB22lhLwfe1...

Although we are registered, We are not funded and therefore depend solely on the assistance from donations from our Local Community

I am a medically boarded pensioner and I am trying to run a small consultancy as well from my home. (which I rent)

We at Secunda Gratis and Verniet have various community assistance projects running:

1. Emergency Food Parcels – 18 families weekly
  2. Emergency Cleaning material hampers – 5 families weekly
  3. Emergency Toiletry hamper for young girls – more than 60 young girls
  4. Emergency Toiletry Hamper for young boys – more than 30 young boys
  5. Emergency toiletry hamper for Adults. – All of the families (18)
  6. Baby Hampers – Mommy going into labour at least one a month
  7. Clothing Hampers – Winter especially
  8. Birthday List – I have 42 kids from disadvantaged families for whom I have private donors to make their birthday special.
  9. House goods assistance – For families who receive a second chance at life
  10. Abandoned babies – I work with SAPS and Curamis to ensure that any abandoned baby is sorted  and safe within minutes.
  11. Matric Farewell Sponsorship for 5 girls and 5 boys

We assist an average of 31 families on a constant basis, these families are extremely poor (pensioners, child headed households etc) Then we also have the emergency hampers to assist for a few days only.

We would be ever thank full is you would consider assisting us.

You can our group on FB and see what we are actually doing. I have also attached our poster, registration etc,

I am currently operating this charity from my garage. I love what I do… And want to continue doing it for as long as I possibly can, but all of the above is hampering me.

I urgently need help with the following:

• A small utility vehicle to pick up and drop off donations
  • In the future an area where we can start a vegetable garden to become self-sustainable
  • Assistance with paying the rent where I am currently running the charity from.

Trusting that you will find it in your heart to assist us.

God Bless and lots of warm greetings from all of us at Secunda Gratis en Verniet

Should you have any further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact our office.

Kind Regards

Fiona Pelman

Cell: 0662796069

Office: 017 631 2163

Do not be afraid, for I have redeemed you, I have called you by your name, you are Mine..