Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit



Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community blog

Read our latest news and views and get to know us better

Household Content Insurance vs Home Insurance: What’s the difference?
Senior Member



Many property owners assume that home insurance, while it covers the bricks-and-mortar structure of their building in the event of a disaster, also covers the possessions within it.  However, this is not the case. So, it is recommended that household contents insurance also be considered so your personal effects (like jewellery, furniture and even cutlery) are protected should an unforeseen event occur.


What’s different, what’s the same?


Household contents insurance:

  • Covers the items within the home e.g. furniture, electronics etc.
  • Covers possessions where damage is caused by faulty heaters, fire damage, floods and storms, natural disasters, vandalism or malicious damage, and theft
  • Does not cover self-inflicted damage or loss of items taken where there is no forcible entry into the property
  • As with home insurance, the policyholder must take adequate measures to protect his/her possessions, as will be stipulated in the insurance contract.


Home insurance:

  • Covers the structure of the home
  • Covers the property where damage to the structure is caused by faulty heaters, burst or leaking pipes, fire, lightning, storm conditions, earthquakes etc.
  • Responsibility rests on the policyholder to ensure that the property is adequately protected and maintained, as will be stipulated in the insurance contract.


In the event of such disasters as listed above, the expense of recovering household items can add up quickly. Having an insurance plan that includes household contents insurance can help you replace your much-needed and loved family possessions while keeping your bank account intact.


For more information, please visit or speak to a Standard Bank advisor.


You can also follow the below steps for your claim:


Submit a claim with Standard Bank, please call us at:

0860 109 459


Submit a claim with your insurance provider

Claims contact numbers:

  • Stansure - 0860 109 459
  • Santam - 0860 505 911
  • Hollard - 0860 000 351
  • SIL Touch Up - 0860 111 251
  • King Price - 0860 005 500
  • First For Women - 0861 111 805
  • Auto & General - 0861 600 224

Emergency assist (home & roadside):

  • Stansure (Roadside) - 0861 007 247
  • Stansure (Home) - 0860 123 445
  • Hollard - 0860 123 365
  • King Price - 0860 555 523
  • First For Women - 0860 104 212
  • Auto & General - 0860 104 210