Community

Share knowledge. Find answers. Ask questions.

Community blog

Read our latest news and views and get to know us better

Know your credit report
Read more blogs in

0078988_Always On_FB and Twitter.jpg

Most people know about credit and its uses, but few know and understand the intricacies of their credit report. This regularly updated, credit bureau-created record of your debt repayment is arguably one of the most important financial documents of your life; banks and other financial institutions use it to determine whether you are a good credit risk; in other words, whether you can repay your loans on time and with interest.

If you need to sort out your debt, or just streamline your finances and repayments, your credit report can be a useful tool. You are entitled to two free reports a year, but before you order them, you first need to understand each section:

1. Identifying information:

This section lists your name, birth date, past and current address, employment information and ID number. Updates come from data you supply lenders.

1. Public records:

Here you will find information relating to foreclosures, wage attachments, judgments and bankruptcies.

1. Payment profile information

This is the history of your credit repayment behaviour; all the accounts you ever had are listed and referred to as ‘lines’. Each line includes the creditor’s name and account number, the total loan amount, how much you still owe and how well you have paid, as well as other relevant data.

1. Enquires

This is a list of everyone who has asked to see your credit report. Try to keep enquiries to a minimum, because too many give the impression that you are being financially irresponsible by ‘shopping’ for credit.

Once you have a copy of your credit report, review it for errors and judgments. Errors can be resolved quickly if reported to the bureau concerned, but a judgment means that you have not paid a debt and the creditor has gone to court for legal support. However, once the debt is repaid in full, the financial institution involved must remove the judgment.

If your credit record doesn’t look as stable as it should, or if you need help with repayments, don’t be afraid to approach your bank for assistance. Our professional, experienced debt counsellors will work out a plan to best suit your situation.

For more information, visit http://www.standardbank.co.za/standardbank/About-Us/Financial-Education/Credit-Health

Read more blogs in
8 Comments
Megz17
Not applicable

Good Day

I am currently very frustrated with Standard bank. I had a loan in 2015 which I closed with a settlement amount, but according to Standard bank I did settle this account but they still list me negative . I now want to apply for a home loan and due to these loans my loan approval was effected. I went to the bank several times for a letter stating I closed this account they can't even give me letter.

If I am homeless and on the streets one day it is due to Standard bank

Carmen19
Not applicable

Hi there,

I am just as p****d off with Standard Bank.  I paid my credit card off in 2016 and I am still listed on ITC for it.  I tried to buy a car and only then found out that I was listed.  I went to the bank and they called the call centre from there.  I spoke to many different consultants - every week for 2 months now.  They keep giving me the runaround and NOBODY can help me.  They just keep saying it has been escalated ... whatever that means - I don't think they know.  In the meantime we are walk and see more ...

Kuthaba Dube
Not applicable

Ref# 7018766966 given on the 6/06/2018

Ref# 7018802496 given on the 14/06/2018

I need help with ITC profile clearance for a garage card that I fully paid two years ago and still reflecting on my ITC profile. I have visited one of your braches in Port Elizabeth and logged a call on the 6th of June 2018 and was given a reference # 7018766966 and promised that the account will be cleared, latest 12th June 2018.

I then checked and logged a call again on the 14th after it was not cleared and I was told that it would take seven working days. I must check again on Monday the 18th, ref # 7018802496.I then checked today on the 18th and now I am told it will take 21 working days.

This account was fully paid two years ago and is seriously affecting my Home Loan applications. I do not understand why it’s taking so long with Standard bank as with other banks (ABSA) is only 48hrs for clearance.

This process has caused a lot of pain and misery in my life.

Ramekgwe
Not applicable

The more things change the more they remain the same

Reshma
Not applicable

Standard Bank has incorrectly listed me on Credit Bureau. I have never defaulted on payments.

June 2017, Centurion Branch told me it was sorted but as at today Discovery tells me that I am still listed by Standard Bank. Now Standard Bank wants to give me a letter to say account closed. Account closed means I was in arrears and I failed to pay. Only problem with that is, I still have 12 months afterwards to bear the bad listing of 'under judicial review' according to law. So, I cannot do anything but give up because Standard bank is bigger than me.

My experience with Standard Bank has been bad for the past 3 years. I have very low expectations of them. So my advise to all of you is, dont expect much from them. 23 years of money wasted on a bank that does not care! Boy, if my Dad was around he would have been so sad becuase he told me that standard Bank is the best and thats why I opened my account with them 23 years ago.

Sonja van Zyl
Not applicable

How do you know your credit card applications has been approved? And how long do you wait for your card at standard bank? Do they tell you immediately? Please let me know.thanks

Bernard b
Not applicable

I’m very disappointed in this service I had a judgement on my name by standards bank for a home loan. 2 years ago I payed back every cent and house paid off completely. 

Problem is I have been contacting them all this time to have it removed and all they saying is it will be gone by tomorrow. 2 years later tomorrow has not come. 

What at can I do next.