Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community blog

Read our latest news and views and get to know us better

No time for an idle mind this winter
Read more blogs in

Do you remember the time when university vacation meant kicking back and catching up on movies, music and sleep? How things have changed since then. Students are now striving to be invited to internships and exposure weeks so that they can get an edge of their fellow students and learn about the corporate world.

The Standard Bank Graduate Programme team is providing this exposure for students in the form of a Winter School hosted at the Global Leadership Centre. 40 students are invited for a week at a time over the course of three weeks to learn about Standard Bank and where they will best add value. It is also a great opportunity to network with fellow students, graduates and management at the bank.

David Rabinowitz, a Standard Bank bursary student who is studying his Masters in Accounting at The University of Witwatersrand, attended the Winter School from 1 - 5 July 2013. He shares his views of the week;

The week was a whirlwind of networking, learning, pressure and fun. We had the opportunity to bond with fellow teammates during the lego session, were pushed to our limits during the banking simulation on Tuesday, and were wowed by Senior Executives during our visit to the Head Office on Thursday. The week culminated with each group presenting a case study. It was so interesting to see the different approaches that each team used to present their findings. Some groups were very serious, while others were rather humorous. We really enjoyed observing the various perspectives of the banking simulation that we completed earlier in the week.

One of the highlights of the week was watching the videos that each team made about ‘what really happens at the Standard Bank Winter School’. Each team spent hours filming and editing, but it was definitely worth it because the end products were phenomenal! I’m sure we’ll be seeing those videos on the website soon.

There were some real pearls of wisdom shared in our final session together. One of the pearls I can remember is: "Coming together is the beginning, keeping together is progress, and working together is success". Upon reflecting on our week together, we realised we were no longer six competing teams, but rather one big team working together.

Thank you to the facilitators for guiding us, caring for us and believing in us. Thank you to my fellow students for making the week so amazing. Hopefully the friendships we built will last for years to come. In the words of William Butler Yeats “Think where man’s glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends”

“Shaboom Shaboom"

Visit www.standardbank.com/graduates to find out more about opportunities for graduates at Standard Bank.
Read more blogs in