Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community blog

Read our latest news and views and get to know us better

Simphiwe Phakathi says the future is here
MasieC
Community Coordinator

FBLINK.pngThere is a lot of buzz and excitement around AI and Data. It’s often difficult to tell how much is hype and what the real impacts will actually be. Simphiwe Phakathi Executive Head, Consumer Insights and Analytics for PBB Africa Regions, firmly believes the impact of AI for the banking industry will be profound and far reaching.

He believes that AI and Data have the power to change EVERYTHING. Customer needs and preferences are changing at a rate of knots, to remain relevant we need to leverage AI so that we can create exceptional customer moments and experiences that will make customers feel valued and connected to us. If we fail to leverage this opportunity, the reality is that someone else will, so effectively we have no choice.

Starting at Standard Bank 13 years ago as a Junior MIS (Management Information System) Analyst, Simphiwe seized opportunities working in Card Division, Fraud Risk Analytics largely focused on detecting and preventing card fraud in real-time. He also had experience with Inclusive Banking from a risk management perspective and heading up measurement for PBBSA, then moving on to data quality management and the giant undertaking by joining Africa regions which has largely been unchartered territory. Simphiwe has embraced the challenge and says it is a privilege of heading up Customer Insights and Analytics for PBB Africa Regions across 14 countries.

When asked what makes him so passionate about his job, he commented, “Data has the ability to help us create impactful moments for our clients. Being in the role I am in I have the opportunity to ensure this a reality not just in one country but across 14 countries. The far reaching scope of the position is what fuels my energy, helping me play a part in living up to our purpose of “Africa is our home, we drive her growth.”

Watch the IBM and Standard Bank two-day Global Elite Academy conference highlights here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPcSXTv4XHc&t=9s

5 Comments