Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community blog

Read our latest news and views and get to know us better

Standard Bank’s cellphone banking is free
Standard Bank Team
Super Contributor
Read more blogs in

One of the questions our customers always ask us is whether our cellphone banking service is free and if it is a costly way to do their banking?

The answer is simple: using the services on cellphone banking service is FREE.

Standard Bank’s cellphone banking uses a USSD (unstructured supplementary services data) code that works the same as when you do a balance enquiry from your phone or you recharge using a code.

You do pay for the session through network charges and data used or sent to your phone. This means you are charged much like you would be when surfing the Internet on your phone.

This charge comes from your cellphone service provider and not from the Standard Bank cellphone banking service. These charges are minimal and worth the price when it comes to convenience and ease of use.

With Standard Bank’s cellphone banking there are:
• NO monthly subscription fee
• FREE balance enquiries
• FREE mini-statements
• FREE prepaid transactions.

To get started on our cellphone banking option simply dial *120*2345#

It is currently available only to our customers in South Africa.
Read more blogs in
14 Comments
Not applicable
I've been banking with Standard Bank for 10 years but I realise they're not treating the people well.
Standard Bank Team
Super Contributor
Hi there,

Please let me know more about your experience. We're working hard to improve on our service and continue to grow and move forward.
Not applicable
I have been dealing with Standard Bank since 2003. I can confidently say that the level of service, customer treatment, and transparency that I personally experienced is something that the rest of SA banks can aspire to.

I briefly dealt with ABSA, but their fees are so inflated and their clerks are so snooty that I never went back. I'm sure some suckers for punishment like this sort of treatment. Nedbank is an equally male-dominated institution, too conservative for my tastes.

In 2006 my finances became tight I switched from Standard Bank to FNB, lured by FNB's promise of lower bank charges. In reality, nothing proved to be further from the truth. While making an emphasis on a lower account maintenance fee, FNB failed to mention the fine print. It is hidden little costs, mentioned in fine print but somehow never mentioned at the sigh-up desk (clearly, their consultants have selective amnesia -- for I have dealt with two (2) different consultants at that time), that effectively caught up with the me. My "savings" amounted to R5. I felt cheated, insulted -- and disgusted. Disgusted with the way FNB tricked me into using their services. Disgusted how they insulted my intelligence while I trusted them. I was dealing with crooks.

While I saved the laughable R5, in the end of the day I paid much, much more in terms of poor service, obsolete ATM technology that FNB had, their downright archaic unwieldy procedures, and promises that were never delivered on.

FNB proved to be absolutely unhelpful. Moreover, they treated me with arrogance and hostility. The culture of customer-orientation is a foreign concept to that customer-UNfriendly dinosaur of a bank.

When my business applied for a Speedpoint merchant machine to start processing credit cards, FNB never helped me. Instead, they found every unthinkable reason as to why they don't want to help me.

They demanded that my business first bring them a hundred and one of those meaningless, obsolete bureaucratic papers that ceased to exist after World War I, and that I obtain registrations with the Marketing Association, the Direct Marketing Association, and the Martian Bureau Against the Abduction of Vodacom Meercats... Their consultant, who came to inspect my premises on a glaringly polished Toyota to make an impression on customers and wearing control-freak stiff glassy hairdo reminiscent of 60s nostalgia, did nothing more than insulted me and my business.

She thought my business was not impressive, or rich, enough for FNB -- because the premises were under renovation and there were bricks, cement and empty halls. Did that insipid clerk making her way in the world on shiny shoes and big hair ever considered HOW MUCH one's business have have in order to afford full renovation? Yes, FNB, in cash. The clerk told me my business does not deserve to have a Speedpoint anyway because... "there is no Telkom lines on the premises." My premises had five (5) Telkom lines. She just randomly assumed that there was no lines, in FNB's quest for service excellence in demeaning their customers.

How can they help me? How, indeed.

FNB and ABSA only served to marry me to Standard Bank. Never ever Standard Bank demeaned or insulted me, or was unresponsive to my needs. Their feedback is prompt and friendly. Their consultants are always looking for ways to help. Their people are knowledgeable and agreeable. Their pricing is transparent -- what you see if what you get, there is no nasty surprises, you do not feel tricked and cheated.

Standard Bank was glad to have me back. Standard Bank send me a human, friendly man to inspect my business premisses who was impressed with the scale of my renovations and commented on professionalism with which my required documentation was composed. My Speedpoint arrived some 5 days later, and I'm using it ever since -- making more money for my business and my bank. My Standard Bank.
Standard Bank Team
Super Contributor
We're more than pleased you have you back. We're glad you have found our service delivery above the rest and we're more than happy to help you move your business forward.

All the best and thank you for leaving this post.

Not applicable
Hi there

I seem to have forgotten my cellphone banking pin, is there some way I can have it emailed to me?

Kind regards
Anneli
Not applicable
Thank you Standard Bank, I got my credit card back.
Standard Bank Team
Super Contributor
We're happy to hear it.
Standard Bank Team
Super Contributor
Hi there,

Due to security reasons, you will need to visit your branch to reset it.
Not applicable
I forgot my cellphone banking password please help.
Standard Bank Team
Super Contributor
Hi there,

Please visit your branch so we can help you reset it.
Not applicable
I forgot my cellphone banking pin and think I'm locked out of my cellphone banking now. What do I do?
Oscar
Not applicable
Please assist me with cellphone banking app
JCstb
Not applicable

your e-mail titled "Banking on your phone has never been so exciting:)" says:

"now you can get data-free banking on your phone, anywhere, anytime.
That means no need for you to pay for data when transacting."

Does that anywhere work when you are overseas?

pmlaba19
Visitor

Hi there 

I'm an account hold and right I'm abroad now I changed my email address at banking app but can't access my mobile app as it sending one pin to my cellphone but I can't receive massage because im outside the country any help..