Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit



Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community blog

Read our latest news and views and get to know us better

What Household Contents Insurance usually covers and what it doesn't.
Community Coordinator
Read more blogs in

Are you aware of how much stuff you actually have? From your big appliances like your fridge and TV, to the small things that you don’t even notice like your kitchen utensils.

Then of course there’s your actual house - complete with new wooden floors and a remodeled kitchen. The question is, how much of this “stuff” is covered by your Home Contents Insurance Policy? And should you be looking at getting Home Owners Comprehensive Insurance as well?


Home Contents Insurance covers anything that is not attached to your home. Any items that are lost or damaged while located in your home would be covered by this policy, for example, appliances and furniture. Some policies do restrict this cover for items that are often temporarily removed from your home e.g. phones and laptops.


On the other hand, if you have any structural damage to your property, your Home Owners Cover (which is separate from your Household Contents Insurance) will take care of that. This includes geyser damage, damaged ceiling replacements and other structural incidents.


It’s important to make sure that you have the right amount of cover for your house and your possessions because things like natural disasters and home burglaries are out of your control. If you are an existing Standard Insurance Limited customer and need to see what you are insured for click here and login. If you would like to find out more about the great insurance products Standard Bank offers click here.

If you need any help or advice on your level of cover, or which type of policy is best suited to your needs, contact us about our insurance offerings, or visit our website.

Read more blogs in