Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Early debit orders followed by Honouring Fees

Solved
16 REPLIES 16
FanaM1
Community Coordinator

Hi @LDB.

Thank you for getting in touch with us.

Please send us an email at [email protected] if you would want us to check into this for you.

We look forward to hearing from you via email.

Regards,

Standard Bank Team

LDB
The payment went through on my end as i had funds for it.
I logged into my app and saw that my account is in arrears for that amount and a second charge stating honoring fee.
I need this fixed because why must i pay twice for something i already paid for.
Boipelo23
Community Coordinator

Hi @Thobby20 

Thank you for reaching out to us

Kindly note that an honouring fee is a penalty fee and cannot be reversed. Honouring the payment for Debit and Cheque Cards POS transactions and Debit Orders is processed in real-time.
The delayed honouring fee comes forth when the merchant does not bank the transactions within the stipulated agreed period, in this case the debit order, and the funds are made available again to you as the customer, then you as the customer can use it. 

Please note that the merchant banking late however does not mean we should not honour the transactions as you have already taken the goods and are liable for payment.

To avoid an honouring fee, please check your account on a regular basis, using the app and internet banking. Also take into account to outstanding card authorization to allow you to have an idea of the available funds you can utilize.

We hope this was informative.

Kind regards,

Boipelo.

Standard Bank Team

Thobby20
Occasional Visitor
I'd like to reverse all honouring fees made on my bank account cause I haven't used this card knowing I don't have money.
FanaM1
Community Coordinator

Good afternoon @Romeo94.

Thank you for reaching out.

An honouring fee is a fee charged for using your card when you do not have enough available funds for the transaction.

An honouring fee is charged when you swipe your card and the merchant debits your account for a transaction that occurred days, weeks, or months ago.

Under "narrative" (description of transactions), for a delayed transaction, it’ll tell you the exact date of the transaction.

Should you be suspicious? You’re welcome to get in touch with our fraud team on 0800 222 050.

Should you want to dispute the honouring fee, kindly reach out to us by email at [email protected] with the subject line "Community inquiry | Honouring fee" for further assistance.

We sincerely hope that this information is helpful, and we look forward to hearing your feedback.

Regards,

Fana.

Standard Bank Team

Romeo94
Occasional Visitor

Hello

So on saterday a stop order was process by standard bank where as i dont have funds in my accout as this has happend before, and i transfer all money into a safe account 

I did not authorised the order, nor did i process it, but standard bank just payed it and changed me a honouring fee.

I spoke to the company that supposubly made the transaction and they have no acknowledgement of this payment as all my  account with them are set to be process on the 1st of each mouth, and half the amount that they supposubly process. I am very unhappy as i dont like this that standard bank pays account on my behalf, as you could be paying frausters.

And what makes it even worse is that this order was process shortly after speaking to a standard bank consultant about an nother issue on my profile. 

How do i escaled this as i want the funt back in my account, will it help me going into the bank to get this issue quiker resolved.

Temoso
My first time receiving this and they charged me a lot💔💔 today am going to the branch and if they can't refund me then am leaving standard bank.

Their charges on this Honouring fee thing is just unreasonable and this is basically a scam. It doesn't matter what their system does or doesn't have enough money in your account. Truth is that the card should decline if the money is not enough and mind you my transaction was just 50c insufficient when I re-check they charged me R 130 + R5. Am a student and not working, this is gonna be significant to my balance
Nonyaniso
Can I get help with disputing this honouring fee thing because I honestly don’t understand what is it for
FanaM1
Solution
Community Coordinator

Hello @Lizzy3.

Thank you for reaching out.

Honouring fee is a fee charged for using your card while you do not have enough available funds for the transaction.

Honouring fee is charged when you are swiping your card and when the merchant is debiting your account for a transaction process days, weeks or months before.

Under narrative (description of transactions) for a delayed transaction, it’ll tell you the exact date of the transaction.

Should you suspect it as fraud. You’re welcome to get in touch with our fraud team on 0800 222 050.

If you want to dispute the transaction, kindly share your email address and we will share the form with you.

To avoid being charged honouring fee, please download our banking app or cellphone banking and always check your account balance.

Mainly focus on available balance as it is a direct reflection of what is available for you to use.

This way it’ll make things a little bit easier to keep track of all your transactions.

Please let me know if this answers your question.

Kind regards,

Fana.

Standard Bank Team.

Lizzy3
New Contributor
This honouring fee thing is really messing up with our banks. How do you get charged for a transaction that was allowed by standard bank
Lizzy3
New Contributor
This happened to me can i get refunded this money
Fanafuthi
Hi, yesterday I was charged honouring fee and I was charged twice the amount of the debit order, how can this be possible because the debit order amount was paid and standard bank charged me for that, can you please resolve this matter urgently
Akhona11
Is there no way to cancel or request Standard Bank to refrain from honoring debit orders when there are clearly no funds on the account,
Surely its cheaper to pay a debit order rejection fee than this expensive honoring fee,
To me it seems Standard Bank wants to hit us where they make money the most which is not fair since they should be looking for the interest of their customers
allenwerner7
Frequent Visitor
I had the same problem, I never asked them to do it and mine os also set on the 25 of each month or later so they are stealing money
Les2504
New Contributor

I just got a call from Standard Bank telling me that it is not their problem and I should contact the other companies that I have the debit orders with. They refuse to refund the R390 Honouring fees that they charged me. My debit order date with these companies is on the 27th of each month and nothing have changed. Is this how Standard Bank milk their customers?

Les2504
New Contributor

I sent my complain to the Complaint Resolution Centre, but no reply.  My bank fees for this month is over R600!

Les2504
New Contributor

My salary date is the 27th of the month and all my debit orders are set for this date or later.  After more than 30 years with Standard Bank, this month seems to be different.  One debit order went off on 23/03 and three more on 26/3.  This pushed me over my overdraft, and now I see I have been charged 3 X R130 by Standard Bank for Honouring fees!  I just Googled NAEDO and saw that collection is only processed when there are sufficient funds in the account, so why did this go through when my available balance did not cover it and it would be covered the next day?  To charge me an extra R390 in bank fees?  Do I have to fear this for next month again?

Go to the solution >