Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Home Electrical Question (Dishwasher)

VictorR01
Occasional Contributor

Hi Guys,

We are repairing the kitchen in our new home, changing cabinets and all appliances. The old dishwasher is built into the wall (there is no plug, it goes straight from the dishwasher up the walls to the electrical lines.) Is this common? Is that how the new dishwashers work? Are there any codes that require it to be hard-wired or that it has a plug? It's in the Los Angeles area, if that matters. Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
AlexMoore
Contributor

The set up of dishwashers are different, so you need to check lots of models, but I can say for sure that you’ll find what you need. I can recommend you a store that offers a huge range of model and you’ll definitely will find something convenient to you. Here ianboer I’ve bought literally all appliances for my kitchen on this website. Hope you’ll find exactly what you need.

0 Kudos
Izzy77
Occasional Contributor

There were no uncovered wires, they were in a conduit from the washer all the way to the wall. Looking around on google it seems that it's pretty common to have a hardwired dishwasher, I just wanted to know if there are any specific codes about it. I would prefer it to be connected to an outlet though.

0 Kudos
stuart1234

All appliances are required to be isolated at the point of supply ie a three pin plug and earthed. A dishwasher should have a three pin plug otherwise the warranty is void on the appliance.The way yours is wired means you can only isolate a breaker on the main supply board should an emergency occour via a circuit breaker which is not an isolating device but a safety device in thc case of an electrical short circuit. You will have to fit a surface plug box and rewire the supply to a safe point in the kitchen about 600 to 900mm above the floor and close as possible to the appliance. this way should an event occour you are able to immediately stop the machine by turning it off...otherwise by the time you reach the mains board there could be a fire or flame.

@Izzy77 wrote:

There were no uncovered wires, they were in a conduit from the washer all the way to the wall. Looking around on google it seems that it's pretty common to have a hardwired dishwasher, I just wanted to know if there are any specific codes about it. I would prefer it to be connected to an outlet though.

0 Kudos
Trevor5551
Occasional Contributor

When I was doing repairs, I also faced the same situation with the dishwasher. It's very strange but still. I first tried to figure out how it is connected there and how the electrics work. But I realized that it is better to turn to professionals. A friend recommended these guys to me which understand this. In the end, everything was very high-quality and quickly solved, I would definitely not have coped with it myself.

0 Kudos