Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

IBAN number

Solved
23 REPLIES 23
FanaM1
Community Coordinator
Hi celclayton.

IBAN is the International Bank Account Number, an internationally recognised account number format.

This is used worldwide, but mostly in Europe.

Any payment made within the EU zone in euros must be made using an IBAN.

You can find your IBAN number on your online banking statement or on your account statement.

Your statement contains information on your account number and branch code.

SBZAZAJJ is the Standard Bank Swift code.

Please bear in mind that you must first tell our international payments staff at 860 123 006 before making an overseas payment.

If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you very much,

Standard Bank Team
ceclayton

Hi there, I've checked both my online and emailed account statements and can't find the IBAN anywhere. Please can you advise where I can get the IBAN. Thanks

FanaM1
Community Coordinator

Good day, @liamsmith.

IBAN is the International Bank Account Number, an internationally recognised account number format.

You can find your IBAN number on your online banking statement or on your account statement.

Please bear in mind that you must first tell our international payments staff at 860 123 006 before making an overseas payment.

Thank you very much,

Standard Bank Team

liamsmith

Could you please inform me how I may get an IBAN code? I spoke with a standard bank consultant today, and he submitted my numbers to an international standard line, which they said would not be available until Monday.

mapquest

RikNique

In Europe, we do app banking.

No bank will go to any trouble here in EU to try and use old fashioned SWIFT etc

The software doesn't allow us, EU citizens to enter ANYTHING ELSE THAN  IBAN.

This compromises my freedom to book ANYTHING in africa.

Very very annoying.

Have to seek site like ''worldremit'' etc to be able to than use a credit card.

Simon666
New Contributor

This is definitely one of the worst managed request - HELLO Standard Bank!

Standard Bank is still not giving the right answer to this very simply question.

South African Banks are NOT part of the IBAN system.

Hence we do not have an IBAN number.

When making with oversea's transactions we need to use SWIFT 

Standard banks SWIFT code is SBZAZAJJ

And in addition you will have to state your full bank account number to the person making the SWIFT payment.

Hope this help and Standard Bank will finally update their website with this straight foreward info.

KhosiBafana

From what I understand, the IBAN number is the same as your bank account number. In Europe they call it (IBAN NUMBER) That is what is shown on the Standard bank website copied as is ( Account number / IBAN number: Provide your Standard Bank account number.)

FanaM1
Community Coordinator

Good morning @lauryfriese.

Thank you very much,

Fana.

lauryfriese

How do I get an IBAN?? Candy Crush

CourtneyRie
New Contributor

The system is held for the fitness for the joys and https://www.countyroofingsystems.com/ pleasure for the coming days in this ambit.

JenniferLopez

Because I phoned a standard bank consultant today, and she sent my numbers to an international standard line, which they told me would not be accessible until Wednesday, could you kindly tell me how I may receive an IBAN code?

monkey mart

FanaM1
Solution
Community Coordinator

Hi @Simon666.

Thank you for sharing the information, and you are correct.

The account number and branch code details are on your statement.

The Standard Bank Swift code is SBZAZAJJ.

Please keep in mind that when making an international payment, you must notify our international payments team at 860 123 006 first.

Please feel free to contact us if you need any further information.

Kind regards,

Fana.

Standard Bank Team

Simon666
New Contributor
I've checked my account statement as suggested by @FanaM1 , all it shows it my account number - no good enough for an incoming International payment.
Simon666
New Contributor

IBAN: South African Banks do not participate in the IBAN system as this is for the European Union and a few bordering countries. South Africa uses the SWIFT/BIC + Branch Code + Account Number to make international Wire Transfers.
FanaM1
Community Coordinator

Hi @Janrase54

Thank you for reaching out.

IBAN is the International Bank Account Number, an internationally recognized account number format.

Kindly let us know if this helps you.

Kind regards,

Fana.

Standard Bank Team

Janrase54
Hello i need to know how do i get IBAN code please because i called standard bank consultant today she transfers my numbers tointernation standard line which they were not available today till Wednesday
johnd

Where can I find the Iban number for my account?

michellev45
Visitor

This is a terribly confusing answer. I would suggest removing it because it is vague and doesn't help at all.

The answers given by other users are clearer.

gmm
New Contributor
after some hours looking for standard bank routing number i have found that :: standard bank or south africa actually is not a member of IBAN and it uses swift codes instead - and a routing number is akin to a national clearing code. so far not one of these official answers has clarified that - why is the community moderator so confused ? and may i say confusing us all - but sadly i still cant find a routing number !! in comparison - i googled FNB routing number and it cams right up - why is standard bank so confused ?
KurtWill
Contributor
South Africa as a country does not subscribe to IBAN. When doing a payment your normal account number will suffice.