Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

OFX FITID not valid

3 REPLIES 3
elyk52

This is still a problem.

Please advise if anyone can fix this.

eugenevdm
New Contributor

Bump? Anyone?

How can you import unique transactions if the bank doesn't supply unique data? If their FITID is not valid?

eugenevdm
New Contributor

I am also interested in this issue. My internet banking presents CSV, XLSX, OFX, TXT, QIF formats for downloading.

I need to know the unique ID from the bank's side so that I can avoid having duplicates on my side. OFX seems to cater for this, but I've also noticed that the FITID seems to increment based on the download date. Surely this ID should remain unique? More information:
https://www.quicken.com/support/about-fitid-requirements-quicken
"FITIDs need to be persistent for the lifetime of the transaction. If a customer downloads the same transaction multiple times, then this transaction always has the same FITID value."

CSV won't suffice and no IDs whatsoever are present, TXT doesn't have any, QIF also not.

HELP?

djiceman

When downloading OFX statement files for an account, the FITID field is not valid as it does not adhere to the OFX standard.

The FITID field should remain the same for each time that a transaction is downloaded.

Example:

I download a statement on 10 September 2018 for last 30 days.

Your current implementation will assign the FITID upon the OFX file being generated in this manner:

<FITID> 201808127

Lets break this down:

20180812 = date of transaction as per statement

7 = your starting digit for the first transaction for this statement download, this number is then incremented for every transaction on the statement.

Now if I download a statement for last 60 days, then the FITID above is generated again but for the first transaction on the statement which is 60 days ago.

This means that the FITID number is not assigned to a single transaction, but rather just generated when the OFX file is generated and does not uniquely identify any transactions on the statement across statements that overlap on date ranges.

To summarize:

If I download both a 60 and 30 day OFX statement, the FITID numbers do not identify the same transaction across the statements.

This occurs even if you download a 30 day statement today, and another tomorrow with additional transactions.