Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Overdraft service fee no limit

21 REPLIES 21
FanaM1
Community Coordinator

Good day, @Kea8.

Thank you for reaching out.

An honouring fee is a fee charged for using your card when you do not have enough available funds for the transaction.

An honouring fee is charged when you swipe your card and the merchant debits your account for a transaction that occurred days, weeks, or months ago.

Under "narrative" (description of transactions), for a delayed transaction, it’ll tell you the exact date of the transaction.

Should you be suspicious? You’re welcome to get in touch with our fraud team on 0800 222 050.

If you want to dispute the transaction, kindly share your email address, and we will share the form with you.

To avoid being charged an honouring fee, please download our banking app or cellphone banking and always check your account balance.

Mainly focus on the available balance, as it is a direct reflection of what is available for you to use.

This way, it’ll make things a little bit easier to keep track of all your transactions.

Please let me know if this answers your question.

Kind regards,

Standard Bank Team

Kea8
New Contributor
I have been transferring money from my savings account to the other and using it. Standard bank has been has been charging me honoring fees every month for using money that is available. And also, I don’t remember signing up for overdrafts but all of a sudden it has that implanted on my account now.
Kea8
New Contributor
Neron
Basically they say u must check ur available balance before u swipe because some transactions go of late. They bank pays for it and then charges the honoring fee. This not right. The bank should update ur available balance immediately. I had this problem a number of times and even nw I have 0ver 600 rand in bank charges. I was with capitec and I never had this problem. If I checked the balance it was the amount I could use. Standard bank is using this tactic to rip people off. If they update ur available funds immediately we won't use what we don't have. Soon to be leaving this bank and heading back to the no1 bank. Capitec is king
FanaM1
Community Coordinator

Good day @Mohlabana.

Please be advised that an honouring fee is a charge for using your account without enough available funds or for delayed banked card transactions that are banked while you do not have enough available funds.

Please view your statement and check your card purchases for the same amount you were charged the honouring fee. Check if you had enough funds to accommodate the card purchases when they were swiped or banked.

Once the account exceeds your available account balance, there will be other fees charged to your account.

You are welcome to visit our website and check our pricing guides for more information.

Kind regards.

Fana,

Standard Bank Team

Mohlabana
Standard bank is a scam!

I was charged, honorary fee of R100 and R69 each month of overdraft service fee, even though my account was never on negative balance
FanaM1
Community Coordinator

Good morning @RM_23.

Regarding this, we would love to hear from you.

Please let us know which fees you find objectionable.

We forward hearing from you.

Regards,

Fana.

RM_23
Standard bank is reeping us off.. I have never signed up for this
SilindileMbo
Community Coordinator

Hi there,

Thank you for getting in touch.

We would like to have a closer look into this matter, kindly forward us your account and contact details to the email address; [email protected]. The subject line should be "Overdraft | community" and  we will assist further.

Kind regards,
Silindile
Standard Bank Team

GHD
Hi I have googled simply what is an overdraft no limit and that is an inititation fee usually meant if you have an overdraft service I have also been charged and would like to know why am I being charged this amount as I've never agreed to this when joining with you guys as a bank
Muofhe19
I have R2000 In my account and they charged me an overdraft of R69,why?
Nyiko3
Occasional Visitor
My account balance was R87,69, I made a transaction of R85 and it went through.Two days latter the bank deducted another R85 as honouring fee. This is a day light robbery 😠
FanaM1
Community Coordinator

Hi @Azulu321.

Please be advised that honouring fee is a charge for using your account without enough available funds on your account or delayed banked card transactions that are banked while you do not have enough available funds.

Please view your statement and cheque your card purchases for the same amount you were charged the honouring fee, check if you had enough funds to accommodate the card purchases when they were swiped or banked.

Once the account exceeds your available account balance, there will be other fees charged on your account.

You welcome to visit our website and check pricing guides for more info.

Kind regards.

Fana,

Prince5
Why do l get charged this amount while l have been charged honouring fee
2017Bp
Occasional Visitor
Why do you charge me for overdraft while I am not qualifying for one? And you also deduct R600 from my account for what
rudolphodendaal
New Contributor

So has anyone found out why Standard Bank charges an overdraft fee even if one does not have such a facility?

Ty44
Same here. Is anyone from Standard Bank going to respond?
Yollie1983
Visitor

I have the same thing being charge for for overdraft fee but i do not have an overdraft on my account.

CCJones
Yes, I just saw the same thing. I have never in my life used overdraft. This must be an error. People can't afford such errors given the current situation. Please follow up?