Community

Share knowledge. Find answers. Ask questions.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Routing number

Solved
karish201
Occasional Contributor

Routing number

How can I receive my routing number? I called customer care and was given the branch code. I received a standard bank email saying the routing number is the branch code and account number merged.
Go to the solution >
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES
Community Coordinator

Re: Routing number

Hello @karish201,

Please note that we first need to determine if you are sending or receiving money. A routing number is an IBAN number required when sending money to beneficiaries abroad, in this case the IBAN number will be provided directly by the beneficiary, however, when receiving money a Swift code will then have to be provided together with your banking details. The Standard bank swift code is SBZAZAJJ. If a beneficiary is not certain on the IBAN number, he/she can contact their branch to obtain this information. Please visit: http://www.standardbank.co.za/standardbank/Personal/Banking/Foreign-Exchange/Payments-and-transfers/... for more information.

Kind Regards,

Mandy

0 Kudos
clarencekuda
Occasional Visitor

Hi. 

I have been facing the same "routing number" problem. I want to withdraw funds from my PayPal Wallet. However, it requires me to add a bank account and for me to do so I need to provide the routing number for my bank. Can you please assist me on how I get the routing number for Standard Bank. 

0 Kudos
karish201
Occasional Contributor

I'm trying to connect my account to PayPal. I will use it for payments and receiving money. I have a debit MasterCard with my student achiever account. Will I be able to change my card to a cheque card since the debit is not usable in online transactions?
0 Kudos
Community Coordinator

Hello @clarencekuda,

We use the IBAN as the routing number for all your international payments or transaction. You can still use the pay pal account with the IBAN to make your international transactions. Please follow the link for more information on this: http://www.standardbank.co.za/standardbank/Personal/Banking/Foreign-Exchange/Payments-and-transfers/....

Note you will have to make contact with pay pal to link both accounts (Paypal to Standard Bank). Kindly let me know should you still require my intervention on this.

Regards,

Mandy

0 Kudos
karish201
Occasional Contributor

Still a very confused human here. I followed the link I found nothing. I saw another post about the iban number being in your online profile when you log in. I tried that too. And I got nothing. May I please have a direct source to where I would find it. I feel like I went on a goose chase. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coordinator

Hello @karish201,

My understanding is that you were using debit MasterCard which limits your online transactions. First step is to change this account to cheque in order to transact online, secondly you will link your cheque account with Paypal in order to do inter-transfer between accounts.

We only use the IBAN as the routing number for all your international payments or transaction. You can still use the pay pal account with the IBAN to make your international transactions. 

NB: Note you will have to make contact with pay pal to link both accounts (Paypal to Standard Bank).

Let me know should you still require my intervention on this.

Regards.

Boitumelo

0 Kudos
karish201
Occasional Contributor

Will I be able to only change my card and not my whole account?
0 Kudos
Solution
Community Coordinator

Hello @karish201,

Kindly note that you are able to upgrade your account and still keep your account number. All you need to do is to visit your nearest branch with your ID book and proof of residence in order to be assisted with the upgrade.

Kind Regards,

Mandy

0 Kudos
debbieslom
New Contributor

According to pay pal the routing number is the nine digit number on the left hand corner of a cheque. My branch is milnerton I called a consultant explained exactly this she promised to call me with it. She didn't Aiyyyyah I'm frustrated!!!!
0 Kudos
debbieslom
New Contributor

Especially seeing today you cannot call a branch anymore
0 Kudos
karish201
Occasional Contributor

Hey there. I finally got around to linking it after trying for idk how long. I upgraded my card to the new student card and new account too. Then I linked the card onto PayPal and just be careful when they ask for the 4digit code it's the one on your bank statement. I was very lost with that part until I saw it appear on my bank statement online. Good luck and hope this helps.
0 Kudos
haydenjohanon
New Contributor

Was there any charge to upgrading your account to a cheque card or are the costs still the same as with the previous student achiever account?
0 Kudos
haydenjohanon
New Contributor

Was there any charge to upgrading your account to a cheque card or are the costs still the same as with the previous student achiever account?
0 Kudos
Community Coordinator

Hello @haydenjohanon,

Please be advised that there are no fees associated with upgrading your account however, there are various monthly fees associated with the different cheque accounts offered by the bank. A student achiever account has monthly fees of R5.30 and an Elite cheque account would cost R100.88 in monthly fees. You are able to upgrade your account to an Elite provided you earn a monthly income of R5 000. You will need to visit your nearest branch in order to be assisted with the upgrade.

Kind Regards,

Mandy

0 Kudos