Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Security Questions

4 REPLIES 4
Shirls2020

Still no improvement on security questions. I retired ten years ago, the company I worked for no longer exists and as a senior I am unable to go to the branch because of covid19. My current account, credit card and investments are with Standard Bank. I don't even know how I "failed". Yup, maybe it's time to move to another bank if I "fail" again tomorrow.

BigG
Occasional Visitor

Well it seems as though this remains an ongoing problem and Standard Bank have a definite plan to rid themselves of their customers. After numerous and unnecessary sessions with Standard Bank they have made it impossible for me to be a satisfied customer and I am off to FNB. To expect me to recall dates and events that likely happended more than 2 decades ago is beyond realistic and reasonable. This is in addition to having my personal information incorrect on their system. And there is NO indication from STD Bank to improve this service. Cheers I am off. This is beyond Flinkdink.

mikei777

I was asked when i first registered with standard bank. yeah right im 60s and it was in twenties. but nope not good enough .failed the test. all standard bank is achieiving is losing customers to capitec etc who go out of their way to help. But i feel sorry for the operators. thats not the way to treat staff standard bank make them ask questiosn bound ot engender frustratuion and anger. Apple and iTunes have a great security system. why are you using inferior companies to deign your questions? saving money and losing customers makes no sense

Sandytrope

Yes!  I was so relieved to find your message as I am having a similar experience.  I am asked a whole lot of questions and told at the end I failed the security test.  Some of the questions are not that easy to answer and it seems that if they have one which you don't have the answer for, or at least don't know what information they have, then you're blocked out of your account.  In my case, I suspect it may be a question relating to who my previous employer was, and I have had many.  Whichever one they have on record isn't the one they want.  It's crazy as I'm in the UK and basically stuck now, not able to get any customer service to change the One Time Pin delivery method, so therefore can't add a new beneficiary and effectively can't use my account properly.  What if one actually can't remember or doesn't know the answer to all these questions?  Surely there must be a better way - perhaps asking things that we would know, like my mother's maiden name etc.  If anybody out there can help I'd be grateful for suggestions.

RenRenRen
New Contributor

Standard Bank's new security questions literally block me out of accessing customer service for my own account. They have fixated on a question that asks when a property me and my sisters inherited, which was registered as a company when my father bought it already 18 years ago, that asks when this company was registered. Apparrently the customer service staff are not allowed to excercise any form of judgement or critical thinking for themselves so when I explain to them that I have no idea WHO started the "company" or when, they say that I failed my security test! Do any of you know what date the house your father is living in was built? Registered? Whatever? Does Standard Bank seriously think you have the right to shut out me of the services you are paid for, by refusing to change a security question that is unreasonable, and that sorry, I will never be able to answer. I refuse to have to go on a wild goose chase into dark history to find out when some dude I never knew registered a company that me and my sisters inherited. Please will you provide me with a solution. I mean a real one, not just "sorry then you fail the test, I am not allowed to think for myself". The security test should protect my account from strangers, not from me.