Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Why can't I make online purchases with my Debit MasterCard?

NicoleMoses1245
I've had this problem too. I have a student achiever account and I can't make online purchases with my debit card. However, I was told by the bank that I'd be able to make online purchases. I can't pay for my Spotify, I can't buy clothes or shoes, I can't even buy airtime. This is idiotic.
TenTwenty
Occasional Contributor
Boitumelo
Community Coordinator

Hello @TenTwenty,

With all debit MasterCard you won't be able to transact online. Please note, a debit card is meant for swipe and withdrawal transactions. For online transactions, you will need a cheque or credit card to transact online.

Let me know should you need further assistance.

Regards,

Boitumelo

TenTwenty
Occasional Contributor

Still waiting..... Verified the card at the branch. Diagnostics shows everything is fine.

Try to do a payment for computer hardware at GeeWiz, no joy.

Luckly still have my Bidvest cardSmiley Very Happy Though it cost me, its working.

TenTwenty
Occasional Contributor

This is what I received from PayPal.

I'm seeing that you haven't successfully added your xx82 MasterCard, nor have you initiated the card confirmation process on it. The reason why you are unable to add this card is because your card issuer is declining the $1.00 USD test charge that PayPal is trying to put through. In this case, please contact your issuing bank and ask them to authorize the $1.00 USD test charge. Once they are able to do that, I assure you that you'll be able to add your card. Also, you won't have to confirm it as your PayPal account is already verified. You can use it right away to fund your payments through PayPal once you are able to add it to your account.

As most of the time the reply from the Bank wasthat they do not confrm any payments. Seems that Standarbank do not know about the security process PayPal have in place. Other banks seems to know about it. So......... we're stuck...........AGAIN

TenTwenty
Occasional Contributor
Boitumelo
Community Coordinator

Hello @TenTwenty,

We would like to look further into this for you. Please mail us with the error message screenshots.

You can mail us here: [email protected] for further assistance.

Let me know should you need further assistance on this.

Regards,

Boitumelo

TenTwenty
Occasional Contributor

I tried a cheque card and it is not working........Smiley Sad

TenTwenty
Occasional Contributor

Tried a cheque and debit card also. The consultant told me that I will be able to transact with te cheque card. Tried both of them. NO joy. The app shows that I can transact, the switch is on for each of the cards. Have a Bidvest card and it works perfectly. It's realy not that I don't know how to setup a Paypal card. My problem is that I don't have anyone at branchlevel to sort the problem. For everything they have to phone the Helpline which is realy not of much help. Everytime they respond that is is now sorted.

Paypal message. "This card is not accepted. Pleasae use a different card." This goes for Gearbest, etc, etc.

Boitumelo
Community Coordinator

Hello @carlynn,

If this is the debit card MasterCard you won't be able to transact online. Please note, a debit card is meant for swipe and withdrawal transactions. For online transactions, you will need a cheque or credit card to transact online.

Regards,

Boitumelo

Boitumelo
Community Coordinator

Hello @carlynn,

If this is the debit card MasterCard you won't be able to transact online. Please note, a debit card is meant for swipe and withdrawal transactions. For online transactions, you will need a cheque or credit card to transact online.

Regards,

Boitumelo

carlynn
New Contributor
I've got the same problem./I've got a debit MasterCard- access account .. I've inserted card number cvv number and all other details on online websites but no joy. I was advised at my local branch that this card can be used for online payments, I've also downloaded the app and made sure that the option for online purchases are active .... Now as our bami consultants this should be able to be resolved without further inconvenience to the client, we all need a resolution to this query, please assist
obotha2017
Occasional Visitor
This makes no sense and personally I am fed up with standard bank. Firstly there is a csv number on the debit cards. Secondly when I went to that bank they said it can be used and to this day. Still no joy 2 years later this is exactly why I amoving over to another bank. PS I'm also super upset that to this day you still haven't cleared my credit record and still keeping it open as unpaid after more then 4 or 5 years everytime I go into the bank all I get told is its getting sorted out. I'm actually very disappointed in Standard Bank after being with you guys for more then +-30 years I think it's time for me to move on
Theeprox
Frequent Visitor
I agree with you Saruman. I got mislead too about this debit master card.
Boitumelo
Community Coordinator

Hello @irshaadvazeer7,

Kindly note that you can only make online purchase with only cheque card or credit card due to online verification process. This will include adding your full names, card number and CCV number which is three number at the back your card.

If you are using the cheque card or credit and you still experiencing the same issue, feel free to mail us your full query with account details and the error message for further assistance. You can mail us here: [email protected]

Regards,

Boitumelo

irshaadvazeer7
Frequent Visitor
Hi.
With relation to this i am currently experiencing the same problem with my debit cheque card when trying to add it on google play

Please assist.
Thanks
Boitumelo
Community Coordinator

Hello @Hitman,

Kindly note that you are unable to proceed with on-line purchases using a debit card as you are required to verify your account using CCV numbers located at the back of your card.

To resolve this you will have to upgrade your account to cheque to enjoy using your account on-line. Please visit your nearest branch for further assistance.

Regards,

Boitumelo

Hitman
New Contributor
This is the same problem I am faced with.. I can't buy Vinyls online and I can't make purchases via these online clothing shops
Hitman
New Contributor
This is the same problem I am faced with.. I Can't buy Vinyls online and I can't make purchases via these online clothing shops
Boitumelo
Community Coordinator

Hi Krees12345,

I'd recommend you check for the below things:

1. Ensure you are using the right debit card number which is printed on your debit card.

2. If you're using the right debit card number and still facing the issue, I'd suggest you remove and add the payment method on google settings.

Also, I'd suggest you check the settings of your Google Payments account to make sure your address and other billing information in the payment method provided are up to date and match the information in the personal information.

If you are still unable to add your debit card to your account, I recommend you contact one-on-one support team of google for better assistance.

Let me know if this helps.

Best,

Boitumelo