Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Home Owner Insurance

What is the procedure to lodge a claim?      

If a claim arises due to an insured danger, you can contact our Claims Fulfilment Centre on 0860 123 444 - Monday to Friday between 8am to 5pm.

Who do I contact if I have an emergency outside of office hours? 

Contact Home Assistance Services on 0860 626 160. They are open 365 days a year, 7 days a week.

What is the procedure to cancel the Homeowners Insurance Policy?        

An insurance policy is necessary for the duration of the bond. If you require alternative Homeowners Insurance (to be insured elsewhere), you can request Home Loans to cancel the Home owners policy. However, you will be required to provide proof of your alternative homeowners cover to the Home Loans department. Alternatively call us on 0860 123 112 for assistance.

What does the policy cover? 

Damage to the physical structure of your private residence and domestic outbuildings, identified as the risk situation in your certificate, and where the structure is built in accordance with the National Building Regulations and constructed as indicated in your certificate.

What is subsidence and landslip cover?       

Subsidence is the gradual movement of the land from causes unconnected with the buildings. Landslip is the downward or sideways movement of slopping ground resulting from stresses and loadings exceeding the available strength of the ground. We offer limited subsidence and landslip cover, which cover you for any damages from ground floor level upwards.

What is the procedure if the bond is cancelled and they want to continue with our Insurance?          

If the bond is cancelled, please contact our Servicing and Administration department on 0860 121 141 in order to issue a policy debited to your current account.

How is the sum insured calculated? 

The Sum Insured is based on the current replacement cost and not market value. The Sum Insured is increased annually based on information from Bureau of Economics Research as well as increases in materials and labour costs of various fixtures and fittings. However, it is your responsibility to ensure that you are adequately insured at all times. If you have made any renovations to your property, please inform us immediately on 0860 121 141.

Why are there 2 excesses for the geyser?   

The first amount is in respect of loss of damage to the geyser.

Additional excess (accumulative to geysers) would apply for loss or resultant damage, that is, loss or damage to the dwelling following the bursting, leaking or overflowing of the geyser.

Tags (1)
Contributors
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎25-03-2015 08:09 AM
Updated by:

Comments
blaisey9
Visitor

good day,

how would i know what my excess is for the replacement of a broken window?

thanks 

MandyP
Community Coordinator

Hello @blaisey9,

Could I kindly advise that you contact our Home Owners Insurance Claims team on 0860 123 444. Please have your ID number and policy number in hand in order to be assisted further.

Kind Regards,

Mandy

eugenegbasson
Frequent Visitor

Good morning

I need to give notice that Im moving to another insurer effective 01 January 2019.

How do I go about

@StandardBank wrote:

What is the procedure to lodge a claim?      

If a claim arises due to an insured danger, you can contact our Claims Fulfilment Centre on 0860 123 444 - Monday to Friday between 8am to 5pm.

Who do I contact if I have an emergency outside of office hours? 

Contact Home Assistance Services on 0860 626 160. They are open 365 days a year, 7 days a week.

What is the procedure to cancel the Homeowners Insurance Policy?        

An insurance policy is necessary for the duration of the bond. If you require alternative Homeowners Insurance (to be insured elsewhere), you can request Home Loans to cancel the Home owners policy. However, you will be required to provide proof of your alternative homeowners cover to the Home Loans department. Alternatively call us on 0860 123 112 for assistance.

What does the policy cover? 

Damage to the physical structure of your private residence and domestic outbuildings, identified as the risk situation in your certificate, and where the structure is built in accordance with the National Building Regulations and constructed as indicated in your certificate.

What is subsidence and landslip cover?       

Subsidence is the gradual movement of the land from causes unconnected with the buildings. Landslip is the downward or sideways movement of slopping ground resulting from stresses and loadings exceeding the available strength of the ground. We offer limited subsidence and landslip cover, which cover you for any damages from ground floor level upwards.

What is the procedure if the bond is cancelled and they want to continue with our Insurance?          

If the bond is cancelled, please contact our Servicing and Administration department on 0860 121 141 in order to issue a policy debited to your current account.

How is the sum insured calculated? 

The Sum Insured is based on the current replacement cost and not market value. The Sum Insured is increased annually based on information from Bureau of Economics Research as well as increases in materials and labour costs of various fixtures and fittings. However, it is your responsibility to ensure that you are adequately insured at all times. If you have made any renovations to your property, please inform us immediately on 0860 121 141.

Why are there 2 excesses for the geyser?   

The first amount is in respect of loss of damage to the geyser.

Additional excess (accumulative to geysers) would apply for loss or resultant damage, that is, loss or damage to the dwelling following the bursting, leaking or overflowing of the geyser.

MandyP
Community Coordinator

Hello @eugenegbasson,

Could you kindly forward us your policy number, ID number and contact details to [email protected] with the subject line "notice on policy" so that we can look into this matter and assist you further.

Kind Regards,

Mandy

La5charters
Occasional Visitor

I have lodged a claim on the 18th March 2019 (Claim number 19/023187).  Standard Bank has appointed five different plumbers from Port Elizabeth and Mthatha respectively.  Out of desperation I asked our local plumber to assist me with a quotation for a new geyser.  I did submit it to Standard Bank after I got authorisation from one of the consultants on Friday 23rd March 2019.  Until today I am still waiting for Standard Bank to give me authorisation to proceed with the job.  I am so desperate for this issue to be resolved.  To phone the call centre is taking met 40 - 45 minutes everytime for a consultant to help me.  All I need is yes go ahead with the geyser and the assurance that the money will be paid for the job done so that I can pay the plumber.  No job will be done without payment. PLEASE ASSIST ME URGENTLY.  (0732231900)  - Mrs M. Charters

Sabelo-Ngcobo

I have been holding the whole day. Please call back on 0845019428.

MandyP
Community Coordinator

Hello @Sabelo-Ngcobo,

Can I please ask that you forward your details to [email protected] with the subject line "Home Owner Insurance" so that one of our consultants can assist you further.

Kind Regards,

Mandy

Sharoni
Visitor

Hi

I put in a claim for my geyser last month, it was replaced.

It stopped working on Friday, I called the plumbers that installed the geyser and they advised me that I would need to contact standard bank claims again.

Please can someone contact me to sort this out, as I tried calling but the line keeps cutting out.

Rai786
New Contributor

How do I get my home insurance claim to get completed - I had a geyser leak two weeks ago and the plumbers came through to sort the leak but the damage to the ceiling still needs to be sorted urgently - I have tried to phoning with no success and sending numerous emails and still not joy - please help urgently

gerhard11

What is the email address required to cancel home owners insurance with Standard Insurance? The call centre gave me [email protected], but it keeps bouncing back. I have tried multiple different email accounts with no success. Some of Standard Bank's other email address does the same thing. HELP

alettakarsten
Occasional Visitor

How do I get through to a real person?

veldhuizen
Occasional Visitor

Hi, I would like to claim for a burst geyser.

NadiaE85

Good day, I'm trying to report a burst geyser. I've been on the line for the past 20 minutes with the same recorded message playing over and over again. "Thank you for calling. Your call is very important to us and will be answered in the order it was received" I've heard this over 1000 times now. Is your intention to drive people crazy, or just give up? I've tried using the app, however that does not load the options.  

Sheriff

I need to cancell my Motor Vehicle cover? how do I do online?

Lorenc

Hi Please assist , I would like to submit a claim 

Zeiden2913
Occasional Visitor

Goodday i have lodge to claimes on Monday contracters have been to my property but i cant get hold of std bank to fond out how far they are wirh the claime