Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Travel Insurance

When is an illness considered a pre-existing condition?     

When you have consulted a doctor, received medical treatment or advice for the condition within 12 months prior to taking out the travel insurance.

When do the different sections of cover become effective?

Cancellation & Curtailment is effective on the date of purchase for the credit card programs; the balance of the travel cover is effective when you pass through passport control.

What is real expense?           

Real expense means the actual expenses occurred up to the accumulation limit on the policy.

Is Emigration included?         

Emigration is not covered on our credit card programs.

Who will pay for the extension of a visit to an island resort due to natural disaster?       

We now offers a limited natural disaster benefit on certain plans which will reimburse the client for the cost of providing other similar accommodation if his booked accommodation cannot be lived in because of a fire, flood, earthquake or storm and/or the additional costs for changing his means of public transport.

In the case of an accident or illness of one of the spouses travelling together and the other have to extend their stay to support the sick or injured partner, is there any claim or assistance from Travel Guard?  

Cover is extended under these circumstances, but it is best to contact Travel Guard in the event of a claim and for them to determine what assistance is required. Please refer to Section 1B Travel Guard for specific benefits that we extend as a result of a medical claim.

In what cases can endorsements be issued?           

There are a number of reasons for endorsements to be issued. Please contact our call centre at 0861 114 494 or [email protected]. Our consultants will be able to assist you further. Endorsements are issued at the discretion of the Company.

If a traveller is already in the UK, can we provide them with cover to extend a journey?

Please contact our call centre at 0861 114 494 or [email protected] with the specific details and we will assist accordingly.

Section 1 - Specific Conditions: "If you want us to pay any Medical Expenses in excess of R5, 000 Travel Guard must be contacted and their prior written agreement must be obtained". How will this written agreement be obtained in a far away place, particularly if a decision for treatment must be made quickly?       The Insured Person is not issued the authority in writing. This is an agreement between Chartis member companies and Travel Guard ensuring that all medical claims are submitted to Travel Guard for management from inception of the claim.

Can pilots flying for leisure with clients be covered?          

Any Insured Person forming part of the crew is excluded whilst flying. Cover only extends whilst the person is not a crew member, namely whilst on the ground or as a passenger on a plane, the client should be a fare paying passenger.

Can the client claim under Cancellation & Curtailment if their Visa is denied?      

No cover can be extended if a Visa is denied.

Will insurance be paid out if the airline goes bankrupt?     

There is no cover for default or insolvency in terms of this policy.

Can we sell a policy if the client does bungee jumping, dune boarding, mountain climbing etc.? 

We can issue an endorsement at an additional premium if cover for numerous hazardous activities is required. Endorsements are issued at the discretion of the Company. Please refer all hazardous pursuit requests to our call centre.

Does the Automatic insurance on the credit card cover Cancellation & Curtailment?       

The automatic cover on the credit card programs usually only cover Emergency Medical Expenses and Personal Accident cover. If the client wants Cancellation & Curtailment cover a top up policy needs to be purchased.

Do you cover influenza?        

We do cover you if you acquire influenza or any related condition whilst abroad, subject to the limits of cover and related excess if you are treated as an out-patient.

What does my client do (or who do they contact) in the case of an emergency or a claim?

For all medical related claims and assistance, please contact Travel Guard immediately or as soon as possible after the incident on: +44 1273 721 415 for Standard Bank.

What does a client need to validate or confirm cover?       

For automatic travel insurance, cover is validated by their credit card number appearing on their public conveyance (travel) ticket. For optional additional travel insurance, cover is validated by their policy number, which is issued at the point of purchase.

What cover or benefit options are available to my client?  

Cover and benefit options vary depending on the specific program. Most programs also offer a Pre-existing Medical Conditions Cover option and a Seniors Cover option to cater for clients with pre-existing medical conditions and clients who fall outside of the specified age bands. Please contact the call center to obtain a copy of the benefit schedule and policy wording specifically applicable to your credit card.

I have been diagnosed with a chronic medical condition; I am currently on chronic medication; I suffer from X, Y and/or Z medical condition. Does this impact on my cover and benefits?         

Yes it does. Please note that Chartis South Africa Limited Travel insurance policies exclude any claim arising directly or indirectly from any pre-existing medical condition. However, we do offer limited optional pre-existing medical conditions cover, which waives this exclusion and is an extension to the automatic/optional cover. Please note that heart and heart related illnesses and conditions are excluded for persons over the age of 70 years. Terms and conditions apply.

I am retired; I am a pensioner; I am a senior citizen. Does this impact on my cover and benefits?        

Yes it does. Please note that, depending on the specific travel insurance program, there are certain specified age bands. However, we do offer limited seniors cover to cater for clients who fall outside of the specified age bands. Please note that heart and heart related illnesses and conditions are excluded for persons over the age of 70 years. Terms and conditions apply.

How does automatic travel insurance on a credit card work?        

The card holder or an immediate family member or friend qualifies for automatic travel insurance every time you charge the full cost of the public conveyance ticket to their credit card. As the automatic travel insurance may not cover every aspect of your travel insurance needs, optional additional (top-up) insurance can be arrange to complement the automatic cover. Terms and conditions apply.

Who do I contact in connection with travel insurance on a credit card?    

Please contact 0861 114 494 or [email protected] for more information.

What benefits are offered under the automatic (or optional additional) travel insurance on a credit card?           

Please contact 0861 114 494 or [email protected] to obtain a copy of the product benefit schedule and policy wording specifically applicable to your credit card. Policy wordings can also be downloaded from the Downloads menu.

Who do I contact in the case of a medical emergency?       

Please contact Travel Guard on +44 1273 721 415. This is a 24 hour alarm centre. 

Will I still qualify for automatic travel insurance even if my credit card number does not appear on the public conveyance (travel) ticket?   

Yes, however we recommend that you purchase the optional additional travel insurance cover (which includes the automatic cover) and obtain a policy number. Please contact 0861 114 494 or [email protected] for assistance.

How do I get confirmation of travel insurance cover for my Visa application to the embassy?   

Once you have purchased the public conveyance ticket with your credit card or purchased your optional additional travel insurance, please contact 0861 114 494or [email protected] for assistance.

What cover or benefit options are available?          

Cover and benefit options vary depending on the specific credit card type. Most credit cards also offer a Pre-existing Medical Conditions Cover option and a Seniors Cover option to cater for clients with pre-existing medical conditions and clients who fall outside of the specified age bands. Please contact 0861 114 494 or [email protected] to obtain a copy of the product specific benefit schedule and policy wording specifically applicable to your credit card.

How do I lodge a claim?        

Claims are lodged in different ways, depending on the nature of the claim.  A completed claim form that has been signed by the Insured Person, copies of the airline ticket, the Policy Receipt or Schedule, and other items that my be necessary, are required on all claims together with the following documents for the different types of losses.

Contributors
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎18-03-2015 10:07 PM
Updated by: